Thread: Laser engraving silkscreen transparencies?

Laser engraving silkscreen transparencies?

Have any of you heard of someone using a laser engraver to create screen printing transparencies? I have two big items to budget right now, a laser engraver and a large format laser printer, the latter will be used to print the black and white transparencies I need to expose images onto silkscreen frames. If a laser engraver could fulfill that duty, I could afford a better machine.

Now of course I can laser cutout black stencils but that doesn't work for complicated or details designs. I'm wondering if there isn't some clear material that scorches/darkens without cutting or distorting.

A crash course on exposing screens if you don't know what I'm talking about: A mesh screen is coated with light sensitive emulsion and placed under/above a bright UV light with a black and transparent stencil sandwiched between. The areas the light touches harden while anything protected in shadow can be washed away.

Blog Entries
    They do make laser-capable screens, but you pay for it...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have made many of them using a plotter and black vinyl applied to clear acetate. Far more cost effective to buy a plotter if you are going to do a lot of screenprinting.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    Guess I misunderstood the question... I thought Weston wanted to expose the screen using the laser.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

It'd probably be easier and less expensive to just print film on an inkjet printer- I use an Epson 1430- We used to use a Xante laser printer but gave that up years ago

I print designs on film for a local screenprinter. I use an Epson Artisin 1430 also, with a continuous ink system from Cobra ink systems. Some of the designs are pretty detailed but the cost is low and fast. I do the separations in Photoshop CC. I suppose you could cut the stencil with the laser, but a plotter would better serve for that method as Joe said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Oaks View Post
    It'd probably be easier and less expensive to just print film on an inkjet printer- I use an Epson 1430- We used to use a Xante laser printer but gave that up years ago
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

7. Laser-capable Screens

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    They do make laser-capable screens, but you pay for it...
    Hi Dan,
    I saw this thread from a few years ago and was wondering if you know where to buy the laser-capable screens???

Sorry to resurrect the thread, I found it on Google.

I am toying with using 250 mesh stainless steel screen, and then putting emulsion onto the screen and expose it fully. Then I would put the whole frame in the laser engraver to engrave it. So far it seems to work. I'm toying around with doing halftone printing this way...
    Typhoon Guitars

Tai Fu - that sounds incredibly interesting. I'll have to try it myself! How many screens per design are you doing? Or is the halftone approach not for multi-color? some pics would be nice.
    Trotec Speedy 360 80watt, Woodworking, screenprinting, paper marbling and an all around assortment of art supplies.
    I make art, my laser makes money. which i spend on art tools like lasers.
    MAKE it 'til you make it.

You should know to make sure the laser is set to ENGRAVE only and that power level should be around 6% or so (this is for a 800mm long tube, about 40 watts true). On a 80 watt laser you need to dial down the power level really low. If you accidentally use cut mode you will burn a hole through stainless mesh.

I tried halftone, and my laser is still those K40 types (but the larger 50 watt version) that uses the moshi board. I ended up using K40 whisperer driver and their halftone algorithm has worked best so far (rather than manually use CorelDraw's halftone conversion). However, quality has been very inconsistent. I have to charge the screen with ink with only so much ink, too much or too little ink yields poor prints...

As you can see the bottom right corner was the best so far, and that was just the first print before everything was charged up. The too dark one was where I used a lot of pressure and loaded the screen with ink... it's like hand pressure and all that all affect the print output. There has to be a better way than this because if I am doing CMYK this is going to result in very inconsistent prints, unless I have a robot hand that can apply the exact amount of ink every pass.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tai Fu; 02-19-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    Typhoon Guitars

I still have a full roll and a half, of 1 metre wide or it maybe 4ft wide translucent red rubylith film.
    It's dead easy to plot in reverse and weed, to make screen positives.
    I suppose I could cut them on the laser, and have the holes cut fully through, and outer lines just lightly cut- but you do risk it all falling apart when you go to lift it (ask me how I know...)
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

You need a stretched screen so the film doesn't fall apart when you laser cut them. I have tried mylar film and it doesn't work. The premise of using mylar film is have the laser cut little holes like halftones but I have trouble getting my laser to work this way, so it will basically carve out entire areas instead of burning little dots.

Using stainless screens and spreading emulsion on it as normal, but exposing it fully then using the laser to cut the patterns worked for me. Most CO2 lasers will not affect stainless mesh, but make sure your laser power setting is minimal, DO NOT put it on any continuous exposure mode (cut mode) because even a 50 watt laser will cut straight through stainless steel mesh wires.
    Typhoon Guitars