Thread: Stupid bandsaw tricks......

Stupid bandsaw tricks......

I have been working on my own house the last few days and had just enough figured Jatoba to do my door panels in the kitchen if I resawed it and did not waste any. I had one 11" wide to resaw and I could see it was not going to fly, even with a new 1.3 woodmaster carbide and the tension cranked up. It wanted to follow the weird grain.

So I cheated. I put a thin kerf in the Minimax and cut in 1.5" on the two long edges and on the starting end. The bandsaw then followed the path of least resistance and I have my bookmatched panels. Worked like a charm.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have been working on my own house the last few days and had just enough figured Jatoba to do my door panels in the kitchen if I resawed it and did not waste any. I had one 11" wide to resaw and I could see it was not going to fly, even with a new 1.3 woodmaster carbide and the tension cranked up. It wanted to follow the weird grain.

So I cheated. I put a thin kerf in the Minimax and cut in 1.5" on the two long edges and on the starting end. The bandsaw then followed the path of least resistance and I have my bookmatched panels. Worked like a charm.

Larry

I wouldn't say that was a stupid trick
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

I will have to remember that one. Thanks Larry

i call that clever. it's new to this woodworking rookie, so i'm going to steal it, store it away, and hopefully remember it for the next time i'm facing a similar situation.

I'd call it resourceful and intelligent. Like train tracks for the bs blade. At work it's standard practice for me because the bs is such junk it's required for anything above 5" resaw, interesting to hear it's still a useful trick on the best saw you can buy with a top blade. Wood will be wood! Love to see picks of that when your finished Larry.

[QUOTE=Larry Edgerton

.......". I put a thin kerf in the Minimax and cut in 1.5" on the two long edges and on the starting end......
    Larry[/QUOTE]

I have a stupid question. What do you mean by "Minimax"? Small/large? Is this a table saw?
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I've done the same thing. It works great if you have enough wood thickness to work with.
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.

I have a stupid question. What do you mean by "Minimax"? Small/large? Is this a table saw?
    MiniMax is a Italian Machinery company they are owned by SCM MiniMax is one of their brands
    the MiniMax Band Saws are renowned by many , they do not advertise much if at all
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    Sorry, I have a Minimax tablesaw. I actually have and old 3 ph 20" Delta bandsaw, great saw, but not up to MiniMax standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    Yes, I think Larry has a MiniMax table saw.

Here is a photo showing the kerf on 2 edges, an old practice for resawing.
    I think Larry also kerfed the end which I've never heard of but makes total sense.
    One could also angle the table saw blade and run a V cut all the way around your stock. Then when you part it on the bandsaw you'd get a finished raised panel. All you'd have to do is sand off the saw marks.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford