Thread: Air Compressor for multiple laser engravers

Air Compressor for multiple laser engravers

We went from one Epilog Helix to three, and looking for suggestions from others with multiple lasers. When running multiple laser engravers, do you tend to use one small (air-brush style) air compressor for each laser like Epilog provides? Or use a larger tank style air compressor connected to a manifold and multiple regulators running to each laser?

I'm leaning towards the tank style... any recommendations? Also, where in the world can I find the adapters/connectors/etc. to go from a standard 1/4" air compressor connection to the tiny rubber hose attached to the laser? Seems like a simple thing but I can't find the connections to make this work.
    70w Helix 24 | Ultimaker 2 Go

Founder/CEO of Envies Flavor Shot - flavorings for adult beverages. Became a follower of Sawmill Creek from running a monogram acrylic jewelry biz for the last 5 years using 70w Helix 24, 30w Helix 24, and 30w Zing 16. It's been a blessing that allowed me to walk away from 12 years of IT Project Management to work from home with my wife and our two young boys. Some prayers get answered before you even pray them.

Check out the small Brass Fittings in Plumbing for that little hose. Something that will match up with a snap in Air connector. And I would invest in 3 additional regulators one for each machine with a Water Catch device.

And easy on the Teflon Tape... In my Sony Picture Tube making days (1995) we actually had a class on the proper use of teflon tape as it was found in failure investigation to be a problem. We had to turn in all bad LP Air Automation Valves and Regulators for inspection and it was found that pieces of Teflon Tape that would break off the open end of the threads and was working it's way into the valves and regulators causing failure.

3 Machines... WOW...

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry R Peterson View Post
    We went from one Epilog Helix to three, and looking for suggestions from others with multiple lasers. When running multiple laser engravers, do you tend to use one small (air-brush style) air compressor for each laser like Epilog provides? Or use a larger tank style air compressor connected to a manifold and multiple regulators running to each laser?

I'm leaning towards the tank style... any recommendations? Also, where in the world can I find the adapters/connectors/etc. to go from a standard 1/4" air compressor connection to the tiny rubber hose attached to the laser? Seems like a simple thing but I can't find the connections to make this work.
    Terry,

I agree with the multiple regulators and you can find adapters at The Home Depot where the brass fitting are in the plumbing department Watts is the vendor.

Also wow great year and a blessing for you and your wife. It is encouraging to hear that couple can work so well together and be so supportive of one another that not only they can manage a family they can build a business. It says a lot for the relationship and the type of people you must be. As you must know, relationship first. bravo!
    Michael Gonzales
    Epilog Legend 24 TT 45 watt-
    Vision Max Pro- Vision Expert 8
    CorelDraw x5- Ricoh GX 7000
    Geo Knight DC16

to go from a standard 1/4" air compressor connection to the tiny rubber hose attached to the laser?
    Ebay "1/4bsp brass hose tail"

I have separate Titan silent compressors fitted to each laser that requires them but a main screw type Hydrovane for the main shop air (and for the big Mitsubishi)

Direct drives won't last (and sound like the hammers of hell on an empty trash can)(and usually have a low duty cycle)

100% duty cycle belt drive tankers will need something to clean the air up and remove oil from the feed

Titan / Junwei etc are nice and quiet but cost a LOT ($2,000+) but they do give very good clean air (it just needs a bit of drying)

Bambi Dentals are fantastic but at $3,000+ likely the most expensive of the lot.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Terry, I have and am still using Loc-Line for a variety of applications. They have manifolds, mountings, etc. They may have some items to help you. www.loc-line.com/. I purchase a lot of their items through Amazon. Hope this helps.
    Doug
    For all that I know there is so much more to learn.

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Never would have thought to look in the plumbing isle... but found most of what I needed at Lowes in the plumbing section. Knowing we'll be relocating in the next few months, I've decided to keep using the smaller "air brush" compressors for now. When we relocate, I'm hoping our new location will allow for a (sound insulated) utility closet to house a couple exhaust fans and a larger belt-driven air compressor with the manifold/regulator/air-cleaner set-up.

Al U. - Good heads-up on the Teflon tape as well. I made sure to be extra careful to keep the edges of tape a few threads back from the opening so there's less chance of any entering the passage.

Michael G. - Working at home has definitely introduced challenges I didn't face in the corporate world. Keeping "work" issues from becoming "family" issues is a huge grey area and it takes concerted effort to say, "Ok, customer issue X is work stuff. We're eating dinner so it's time to talk about family." Definitely easier said than done, but it's been a huge blessing to be able to take my boys to bed for their nap time each day... having come from a 50-to-70 hr/week project management job where I barely got home in time to even see them awake many days.

Dave S. - "hammers of hell on an empty trash can" ....that's price-less ... and accurate!
    70w Helix 24 | Ultimaker 2 Go

Founder/CEO of Envies Flavor Shot - flavorings for adult beverages. Became a follower of Sawmill Creek from running a monogram acrylic jewelry biz for the last 5 years using 70w Helix 24, 30w Helix 24, and 30w Zing 16. It's been a blessing that allowed me to walk away from 12 years of IT Project Management to work from home with my wife and our two young boys. Some prayers get answered before you even pray them.