Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A simple bridge replacement becomes a major rebuild

Beautiful work Jim!

I have a friend here who makes his living do musical instrument repairs and I don't know that he would have taken on that challenge. He also does electronics repairs for amps, PAs and mixers. I dont' know that he would have taken on that Martin repair. Well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks, Ken
    I too have done a few amp repairs but not really being an electronics person I decided it would be in my best interest to stick with what I know. Unfortunately good amp repair guys are hard to come by in my area.

Jim,thanks for posting ,real interesting. Looking forward to seeing photos of that f hole repair. Years ago a friend who did good repair and setup work had a violin he thought to be pretty good but someone had recut the f holes too big . I closed them up with zig zag patches and then he recut them. I've got film pics here somewhere.

After some delay I'm finally nearing completion. Accidentally boogered up the center ring on the rosette and had to replace it and stop to do a few other repairs. All that is remaining is to reset the neck, shape the saddle , string and set up. For some unknown reason the photo's do not reflect the actual color of the finish. Actually it's a shade more brownish but then I am not a photographer.IMG_2764.jpgIMG_2761.jpg

Great. Now it needs a new owner.

So is the original owner paying for this ? Or is it yours now ?
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mahan View Post
    So is the original owner paying for this ? Or is it yours now ?
    The owner is paying for it. I did get it reassembled and playing then the owner decided that he wanted the fingerboard replaced. Went through my scrap file and found a piece of Brazilian rosewood and am in the process of making a new fingerboard now. Pics when completed ...again.

That Really is a VERY nice job on the restore of that Martin ,
    I wish I had a fraction of your skills
    Rosewood is gonna make that PoP !
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Thank's for the vote of confidence... much appreciated! As for the skills it's really not difficult at all. More patience than skill I would say. Get yourself a yard sale guitar, tear it apart and restore it. You will be surprised. Patience is the key.

Finished! All I'm going to do anyway. Looks good, plays well and sounds great for a small bodied guitar.IMG_2771.jpgIMG_2775.jpgIMG_2773.jpg

What a wonderful job. Thanks for taking us along, Jim.

12. Very Nice Job !
    what a difference from the 1st Pix

Nice job Jim thanks for allowing us to follow along on the journey.

Its kind of great to see something like that restored back to functionality and when it comes out looking as nice as that one did its an extra bonus.

Wow! What a beautiful job! I'm sure the owner is very pleased. You are quite the talent, Jim.

Again, thanks for the kind comments. They are always appreciated. It was a fun project.
    Stay tuned (no pun intended) for my upcoming project "FRANKENBANJO"