Thread: Nothing for sale: Just Thank You for a successful experiment

Nothing for sale: Just Thank You for a successful experiment

Please delete or move if this is not appropriate.

Nothing for sale, but I wanted to extend a huge thank you to everyone that bought tools and DVDs from me. This was an experiment that I was running with our foster children. It’s purpose was to show how you steward things and funds. My aim was to show the kids that with creativity and purpose you can turn ordinary things that you own and no longer use into a blessing for others; and if you are creative you can multiple the giving.

We sold a total of $756.00 dollar. I rounded that amount to an even $800.00 and matched those funds with another $800.00. My match was submitted to my employer who also matched my $800.00 for a total of $2,400.00 that was given to foster care.

We had several area organizations donate gifts to all the foster care children in our county. We have one foster child that has been with us for a year and is someone we are actively pursuing adoption. On her own she decided to donate several of her dolls that were given to her to help with healing the trauma she has experienced. She in turn did not want to just give the doll away she wanted to talk to another little girl who had been through the same experiences she has been through. I would be a liar if I said I did not shed a tear, or two, seeing discipleship unfold before me.

My kid(I love the sound of that) and I spent Monday and this early morning delivery gifts for other foster children. Our county has ballooned in the number of children that entered care; we usually average around 130-140 kids but in the last 3 months we have taken in over 60 kids. All the while the number of foster/adoptive parents has dropped to under 20 and we have lost case workers and investigators. Case workers are now averaging over 30+ cases each, supervisors have taken on case loads, and even the director has a few cases that she manages. Needless to say there was no way the case workers could have delivered presents to every child in our county: some of the children are as far as way 260 miles from their home county. We headed out at 07:30 and did not return home until close to dark.

All this to say a huge thank you! I did not expect to collect so much nor did I expect the children to want to give back so much. Thank you all and a Merry Christmas.
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.

Well done Shawn! God Bless you and your family. Merry Christmas!

Jerrimy
    I make dirt out of woodworking tools.

What Jerrimy said!

Merry Christmas Shawn. Good luck on the adoption.

Rick Potter

Shawn, Merry Christmas to you and your family. Never grow tired of blessing others and pouring your life into the lives of others. Blessings this Christmas Day.

To have a child is biology

To choose a child is divine

Fantastic work Shawn, I truly hope one day your kindness is no longer needed in the best possible way.

best wishes

Dave

you have a PM
    Last edited by Dave Sheldrake; 12-25-2013 at 7:51 AM.
    You did what !

Shawn, it is we who should be Thanking You on this blessed day, instead of you thanking us. I think that you have set a very high standard that each of us should look up to.

I second Dave's message and wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and the very best for the New Year.

Thank you again,

Don
    (a fellow Georgian)

What a nice thing to do Shawn. May our father in heaven bless you for your kindness as you have blessed the lives of the children you have come in contact with. Merry Christmas.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Shawn,

How long have you been fostering? Come Feb. it'll be 23 yrs. for the missus and I. I started out skeptical and have come to the realization that I've been a better foster parent to those who pass through the door here than I was to our 4 birth children (yes we have apologized to them ;>) ) Nice to hear of others lending a much need have to kids at risk.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Thank you Shawn. You're a great Dad.

Ralph

That was so nice of you Shawn..

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Shawn Russell;2198071]
    Nothing for sale,

I think you are selling a great deal. Your selling us with your conviction that we all can make a great deal of difference in the lives of those that are less fortunate.
    God Bless You.