Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Fresh - What to Get?

hmm! you've all given me a lot to think about, I'm going to have to mull it over and keep my eyes on the classifieds. It does make sense to get a used domestic model to get familiar with the trade, and I like that they retain their resale value a bit better in case I want to upgrade later. If I get into this and want more bang for my buck then I can buy a big, powerful unit from China down the road (thanks for the breakdown, Ross). I'm not scared of importing or all that, but for my first laser it would probably be really nice to have the extra support, since I'm pretty much on my own.

so Canada has no customs with China, alas I'm in the CA in the states; what kind of hoops would I need to jump through and whose palms need to be greased to import a Chinese laser for myself? Would a local agent like Rabbit Laser handle all that for me? If so it seems worth it to go through the agent!

One capability I'm stoked about is the ability to cut wood to make flatpack products and living hinges; would the 40-60W range be sufficient to cut wood and similar materials, or is it just a matter of time and efficiency? It looks like the flatpack stuff gets up to 1/4" thick, do you guys have any experience with making stuff like this? http://www.pinterest.com/cgb50/living-hinge/

what about high relief engraving like this? http://www.cmstatic1.com/134690/134690.444074.jpg

I'm getting all excited about the possibilities! Thanks for all your help!

Blog Entries
    David,

At least in terms of Rabbit, they have already done the importing, made any modifications, checked them to be sure they are functioning correctly, and if I understand them correctly when we talked on the phone, they also have someone come out and help you with the setup, run you through the hoops, answer questions, basically give you a leg up on how to use that. i guess they found doing that was well worth their time as opposed to leaving users to fend for themselves at startup.

Their web site is rabbitlaserusa.com if you want to check them out. Ray and his wife Carole Scott are the owners.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Hey guys, I want to thank you again for your help and input before. I just wanted to update you since I've been slow to take action, a direct result from having a day-job that limits the amount of time I can dedicate to pursue these "hobbies."

I found a local maker space (www.hackerlab.org) that has a laser cutter and joined to learn and gain experience with the equipment. They have an 80W CO2 Morn laser cutter, which is admittedly one of the most popular pieces of equipment there. There's apparently a local distributor nearby in Stockton, CA for Morn. With something like a 24x36" bed, rotary attachment and all the bells and whistles, I think they paid around 8-10k for it a few years ago.

It's been fantastic learning about it and getting to make stuff with it, and the cost of a membership is a lot easier to swallow than what I'd spend on my own unit which wouldn't pay for itself unless I really put it to work (time being my most limited resource). My first project was to prototype a lightbox with cut paper, for a friend's birthday (she's a professional mermaid). Check it out

20150131_212624.jpg 20150131_212942.jpg
    It's about 8x8x2" Used the laser to cut the box, paper and acrylic. I also used a LED controller, so the colors can be changed or set to cycle, which gives it a cool, ethereal nightlight effect. There's a couple more background layers you can't see too well in the photos.

Cheers!

Not paying attention that this post is 2 years old my 2 cents worth is now 8 cents worth and irrelevant
    I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I needed a good machine with good support. I ended up with a Rabbit Laser bought from Rabbit Laser In Ohio. Its the best built Chinese laser and you get US support which is top notch. I have a 60 watt co2 with a 24 x 16 bed 9 inch up down table. I engrave lots of leather and cut up to 1/4 Plywood with out any problems so far. a little over 6 k . Of course if you have 12 K or more to buy an equivalent Western then by all means get the best, but for a hobby machine and small buisness you couldn't go wrong with a Rabbit.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 02-09-2015 at 8:21 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks Bert! If I do make a purchase, Rabbit is definitely in the top running. The only thing going against them is the distance, which is more a concern than a dealbreaker. I'm pleased to see that the cost of lasers is creeping downwards, or so it seems.

you can also look at bosslaser www.bosslaser.com they are wounderful customer support people as they are always there. Yes the machines are Chinese made and imported to the USA as they go threw them and put most usa parts CAll them ask for Qrue, Robbie Michelle and speak to them They have decent prices and you can also get them financed i got a bosslaser 1620 it does what i want. I could not ask for better customer support than them as i put them threw hell asking millions of questions and raising hell fixing to threw the machine in the middle of the road as i couldn't understand nothing of the machine which was my fault because i dint know it came with a manual. They will also do remote access to show you step by step no other company i know does that for there customers. If i had to buy another laser machine i go to bosslaser

I forgot to mention that Ray Scott goes to most new customers homes sets up the laser and trains you on it. Read Michele's last post this morning, I actually was in transit from the east coast to AZ and picked up my machine on the way home. I spent an entire day at Rabbit Laser getting trained then they packed my machine and loaded it on my truck and off I went.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Baldridge View Post
    Thanks Bert! If I do make a purchase, Rabbit is definitely in the top running. The only thing going against them is the distance, which is more a concern than a dealbreaker. I'm pleased to see that the cost of lasers is creeping downwards, or so it seems.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by David Baldridge View Post
    Hey guys, I want to thank you again for your help and input before. I just wanted to update you since I've been slow to take action, a direct result from having a day-job that limits the amount of time I can dedicate to pursue these "hobbies."

I found a local maker space (www.hackerlab.org) that has a laser cutter and joined to learn and gain experience with the equipment. They have an 80W CO2 Morn laser cutter, which is admittedly one of the most popular pieces of equipment there. There's apparently a local distributor nearby in Stockton, CA for Morn. With something like a 24x36" bed, rotary attachment and all the bells and whistles, I think they paid around 8-10k for it a few years ago.

It's been fantastic learning about it and getting to make stuff with it, and the cost of a membership is a lot easier to swallow than what I'd spend on my own unit which wouldn't pay for itself unless I really put it to work (time being my most limited resource). My first project was to prototype a lightbox with cut paper, for a friend's birthday (she's a professional mermaid). Check it out

20150131_212624.jpg 20150131_212942.jpg
    It's about 8x8x2" Used the laser to cut the box, paper and acrylic. I also used a LED controller, so the colors can be changed or set to cycle, which gives it a cool, ethereal nightlight effect. There's a couple more background layers you can't see too well in the photos.

Cheers!
    Beautiful. What type and weight paper did you find worked best?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks again, it's good to see there are more options out there, and a handful of US-based distributors of Chinese lasers, as it mitigates a lot of the support-related risks you'd be taking on by buying direct from the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Beautiful. What type and weight paper did you find worked best?
    Thanks Bill, for the background layers (which I wanted to let through more light) I used thin rice paper I picked up from the art store (for calligraphy). For the characters and foreground elements I used a heavier stock. I had paper examples lying around so I'm not entirely sure what it was, but it was something similar to watercolor paper or cardstock. I sandwiched all the layers in acrylic sheets, which held everything together nicely and added a sense of weight to the box.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Folks do seem to have pretty consistent experiences with Shenhui and GWeike from what I can see. And the $$ savings is considerable. But as a serious hobbiest, and someone with a day job that ties up 10 to 12 hours a day plus my time bicycle commuting I can't take the chance of having to babysit the process. Because of that when I am ready I will go with the folks at Rabbit. I will pay more, but still way less than what I would pay for one of the big 3 Western brands. And everything I see and hear from folks is that they are great to work with, responsive and responsible, and a pretty safe bet. For me at least, that is a good compromise.

Keep in mind I am a hobbiest woodturner with a desire to burn things and build some capacity for retirement.

If you work with those two brands I think you will be good. Just check with all of us in your country that have done the import thing and get the ins and outs down well!!

Fingers are crossed for a great experience for you!!! And a terrific Holiday as well!!!

Dave
    Or buy 2 chinese machines. Same make.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt