Thread: downsizing from full size table saw to what

downsizing from full size table saw to what

I have a seldom used Steel City Hybrid table saw w Biesmeyer fence that takes up lots of garage space. I think it is time to downsize, but downsize to what.I am leaning towards Rigid folding 10" saw but there are lots of options out there. I expect to do very little cutting of large plywood panels looking ahead. Would appreciate comments and suggestions. Merry Christmas and thanks in advance.

Have a decent bandsaw? Some folks use those to rip hardwood.

In a folding construction saw I like Bosch on the T4B-like folding stand with the RK or the Dewalt that gets decent reviews. Have only touched each but never used them. Geared fence on the Dewalt is nice.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hi Tom.

If I were put into your situation, I might consider downsizing to a Festool circular saw with guide rails.

But, while you said it would be rare to cut sheet goods, you didn't mention what it is you would still use a tablesaw for.

To me, a tablesaw is essential to the way I work, for ACCURACY and EFFICIENCY. But, that's not to say I could not become accurate and efficient with crosscut and rip hand saws.

Todd

My vote would be for the Bosch or DeWalt.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

It depends on the style of work you do. I think the older tilt-top 9" table saws by Delta offer a lot of precision in a very small footprint. Because the arbor remains fixed, these saws do a good job with joinery.

The band saw is most versatile in making furniture. It can cut multiple parts using templates, cut dovetails, tenons, rip with minimized stock loss... on and on.

I like the Eurekazone system as a relatively economical way to have a system for squaring plywood panels and breaking up whole sheets. It's less costly to get into than something like the Festool and the available accessories are well designed.

I would not get a table top saw. Think about shorter rails for the fence, and maybe combining it with storage or a router to save space. If you still can't swing that, I would replace it with a really good bandsaw if you still want to build furniture.

IMO Bosch is one of the better ones, but I doubt you`ll be impressed with any portable saw after using a fixed model.

What are you planning on building in the future? If furniture, the bandsaw has merit, a job site type saw would be more appropriate if you are processing construction lumber though.

My father had one of these from the 40's and it was extremely precise and had very little vibration for the reason you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post
    It depends on the style of work you do. I think the older tilt-top 9" table saws by Delta offer a lot of precision in a very small footprint. Because the arbor remains fixed, these saws do a good job with joinery.

If your current saw is seldom used maybe you should just bag a TS altogether. A compact saw still takes up nearly as much real estate when set up as a cabinet saw with short rails. The only advantage is you can store it away in a somewhat smaller footprint. But it sounds like you don't really have much need for a TS, so why not just get rid of it and use the money from its sale to buy a track saw for those occasions when you need to break down sheet goods.

John

I have a little inca saw- very well made little saw