Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who do they thingk they are fooling?

Blog Entries

Who do they thingk they are fooling?

Recently while shopping, my wife and I were comparing ingredients in yogurt and noted on one brand that they listed "evaporated cane juice" as the sweetener. Is this a euphemism for sugar? Do they think that people don't know how sugar is made?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Of course they could have been using sugar from beets or corn instead.

I think they are counting on the fact that people don't know how sugar is made. Trader Joes was slapped with a lawsuit earlier this year due to the misleading labeling of packaging by trying to hide sugar in products by adding evaporated cane juice to the ingredient label. I don't know how that turned out, but so few people know how sugar is made that those skimming the label can be lulled into thinking this is some kind of natural sweetener.

Speaking as a sugar beet grower, be suspicious of anything cane related. Demand real beet sugar!

These days I would think consumers would like to see sugar on the label instead of HFCS. Evaporated cane juice is slightly different from sugar and is sometimes used because consumers think it is a natural sweetener. Isn't sugar already a natural sweetener?

To answer your question: most of America.

Many people still think the food pyramid is the basis on which they should construct their diet. I think it's safer to be uninformed than misinformed these days.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    These days I would think consumers would like to see sugar on the label instead of HFCS. Evaporated cane juice is slightly different from sugar and is sometimes used because consumers think it is a natural sweetener. Isn't sugar already a natural sweetener?
    if it's slightly brown or beige in color it's raw sugar meaning it still has the molasses present & that small amount of molasses adds some flavor that some don't like . refined sugar is the white stuff with the molasses removed by a chemical process IIRC In Maui the cane sugar plants smell really bad down wind
    Evaporated cane juice is just raw cane sugar , some foodies do not want Corn Sugar at any cost
    ever see a Corn sugar refiner ? I swear it looks just like a Crude Oil refinery but with Stainless Steel pipes
    as for beet sugar I'm in the dark on that one but from what I see at the plants near here the process is simple , as there is a whole lotta of that beet product grown here in Calli I'm a firm believer in supporting California growers
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mahan View Post
    refined sugar is the white stuff with the molasses removed by a chemical process IIRC
    I think it's done by redissolving the raw sugar, filtering, recrystallizing then drying in centrifuges in beet sugar, probably the same in the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I think it's done by redissolving the raw sugar, filtering, recrystallizing then drying in centrifuges in beet sugar, probably the same in the others.
    they add something IIRC when the cane sugar is in that dissolved state to make the molasses separate (float)
    I've heard beet sugar was better green wise with beets reject material is make into feed ? where in cane it's just burnt that and they also burn the fields before the harvest
    Last edited by Michael Mahan; 12-21-2013 at 9:25 PM.
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mahan View Post
    they add something IIRC when the cane sugar is in that dissolved state to make the molasses separate (float)
    I've heard beet sugar was better green wise with beets reject material is make into feed ? where in cane it's just burnt that and they also burn the fields before the harvest
    Thats true Mike, the pulp makes good feed for cattle. The molasses does too.

Me personally, I'll take sugar, even if they do call it "evaporated cane juice", over HFCS any day. HFCS and me just don't agree. Which may not be a bad thing because I can't eat candy or donuts any more, and soft drinks make me go bonkers. I do miss Donuts though.
    Can't say about sugar from beets because I don't know if I've ever had it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

There is a Pioneer sugar plant near Bay City, Michigan.
    Big sugar beet producing area.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Who do they think they're fooling?

My cynical reply is a variation on Abe Lincoln's comment.

You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time.............And that's usually sufficient.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

why did the companies switch to small packages --SO THE INFORMATION WILL BE HARDER TO SEE

15. Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    why did the companies switch to small packages --SO THE INFORMATION WILL BE HARDER TO SEE

the 5 pound bag of sugar went to 4 pounds & the price stayed the same
    this has been done across the board on all processed dry foods & canned goods as well
    smaller quantity & keep the price the same " AT 1ST " then slowly raise the price once the consumer gets used to the smaller packages .