Thread: 2x48 grinder assemble along

2x48 grinder assemble along

Again, one more grinder I made. Attached are pics of the assembly and a set of plans I made up for this grinder should you want to build one yourself.

48 horizotal grinder plans-final.pdf48 horizontal plan.pdf

It is somewhat similar to a BMW grinder, but I changed a few details to better suit my needs.
    The big changes are:
    1. Different adjustability: All the work tables on my grinder (except the small wheel work table) are fixed, and I designed the other pieces to be adjusted (i.e. moveable platen, moveable small wheel holder which pivots left to right, and a removable small wheel work rest). All of these adjustments are from the 3/8” bolts used to assemble the pieces, thus only one tool is needed to adjust the grinder for different wheels.
    2. Small wheel clearance: I wanted the small wheel holder to hang over the bench to allow me to freehand rotate knives (and bows). Thus I relieved the sides around the small wheel holder and made a tool rest to fit the design.
    -Specs: 1HP Baldor Motor (auction site), KBAC 24d VFD, main plate is 12”x24” .750 6061 Plate (auction site)
    -Some other metals (Online metals- pre-cut and squared up by me)
    -Wiring, misc bolt’s, gas spring, etc (Mcmaster Carr)
    - I created some simple plans, along with the materials lists if anyone would like to see them. Feel free to email me and I will send them to you. It is a fairly straight forward project and fun to build your own. Still a costly grinder when you add it all up, but still save some good money making it yourself.
    Here are some “assemble along” pics:
    Installing the rubber feet.

The dyed underside is routed out for clearance for the 56C motor face.

Installing the tracking mechanism...I would suggest making one of these yourself rather than buying.

On the underside of the small wheel holder, I inset a brass sleeve (which pivots on that ¼” screw put in the tip earlier)

Packing it up...moving to New Jersey

Time to finish it, nice little bench to put it on:

Photobucket is a worthless website