Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Given the green light

Hi Mike, it's not that the stuff isn't available in 1 1/4", it's that often you can buy Euro manufactured cutters in metric sizes for good prices.

The Hammer machine comes with a 1" solid spindle, and I bought the 30mm kit as well.

Most of the world is metric, there are a lot of excellent tool makers who predominantly work in the metric system, that trend is only going to increase.

In addition the 30mm spindle sleeve kit will allow him to use his saw blades in the shaper...........Regards, Rod.

Thanks Rod. I do like the idea of being able to use saw blades on the shaper. I might really have to consider that option some more. I am going to check out some cutterheads. Is there any certain company you tend to keep going back to for cutters?

Hi Eric, I would suggest you start with a 40mm Euroblock head in steel with chip limitation.

If you buy a Hammer machine have them supply you with one they sell at a good price.

Knives are available from many US suppliers for this tool, perhaps even locally. (Where I live there are many sources of knives locally), or you can mail order them.

Felder resell some nice tooling, often at Christmas they run specials, it's a good time to pick up a rebate head or groover.

Once you have a rebate head (125mm X 50mm) is great for rebating or pattern copying if you buy a guide bushing and bearing for it.

An adjustable groover is nice, or use your dado set with a 30mm spindle.

Add the Ero block 40mm head and you can make almost any profile you can imagine.

That's it a rebate head, a 40mm Euro block and grooving capability will get you going and allow you to perform almost all operations in solid wood (Euroblock) and solid and man made materials with the carbide rebate head and groovers.

The only item missing is raised panel doors, the Euroblock does one style, if you want a different one you need to buy a raised panel cutter head.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. You asked what I own and I didn't answer that, Freud, Omas, Felder and a 40mm Euro Block from General Machinery.

Thanks Rod. You are a bundle of information. I appreciate that. I have looked at several cutters. Looks like that is the way to go.