Thread: Field Trip To Cartersville

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Field Trip To Cartersville

My wife and I took a detour through Cartersville, GA today on our way home from the family farm. We met sales manager Jim Haga and got him to give us a tour of the Camaster shop. The place is much cleaner and nicer than I expected. It turns out that they get all the nasty welding and painting of the framework done at another shop that specializes in this type of fabrication. They only do the precision machining and final assembly there. This makes for a very clean efficient business. All in all, I was very impressed with their operation and I have seen several similar shops when I worked as a manufacturing engineer in the automotive industry.

Their products are also quite impressive. I was particularly interested in the Stinger I model and did a lot of reading and video watching on this unit prior to our visit. The photos, videos and specifications just don't do it justice. Even though it only has a 2' X 3' cutting area, it is made to the same industrial standards as their big machines. If anything, I would say the unit is actually over built for its intended purpose. The welding, machining and paint job were just beautiful.

In the end, I just ordered a base model Stinger I on the spot. I have been going back and forth for 6 months now on which unit to buy and this little field trip convinced me. I would recommend that anyone who is close enough and is looking to buy a first class CNC router of any size, contact Camaster and arrange for a tour. Jim Haga is knowledgeable and easy going and there is no heavy handed sales pitch. It was a very enjoyable experience.

What shop is doing the welding and painting do you know?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

That is a question for Jim Haga but as best I can recall, he said it was in the same town. Cartersville isn't a big city but I noticed a lot of nice looking welding, machining, powder coating and similar kinds of shops.

Mike..
    We use 2 shops to do the welding, depending on frame model. The horizontal milling on 8' and longer models is done by the shop that builds our Cobra frames. Powder coat is done by a 3rd shop. They are all within few miles of our location and do very nice work. I don't feel that their names need to be public.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Art, you will not regret going with the Stinger 1. I hemmed & hawed for two years before buying mine, and positively love it. I have a high end machining background and appreciate machinery that does what it is designed to do without having to fuss around with it. The Stinger fills the bill beautifully.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Having seen it up close, I am very confident the machine will work like I hoped. I have also spent a good bit of time on the Camaster website and seen the kind of support they provide their customers. I am confident that I can get help and advice quickly if I need it. I still believe my other option, which was a CNC router Parts kit, is a good choice for some people. I just didn't want to spend the time building and tuning a machine when I could be using one instead.

CAMaster Cartersville

I thought I would post a few pics from my visits to Cartersville, the one on the trailer is my new ATC 508 I picked up in March. well worth a trip to the Plant, A CAMaster is an investment in Good machinery that holds its value and does the JOB !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool Pictures. Thanks for sharing!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I saw the Stinger1 and a cobra along with a shopbot in person. You are so right. They are nice in the pictures but it really is something that you need to see in person to see how rugged the camaster is made. I wanted to order one right then also and came very close to doing just that. As soon as I get the business up that I am confident in financing or come up with the cash, that will be my next cnc. Yes they are a little more but when you see one you can justify every penny. I've been folowing their forum ever since then and it looks like the customer service is just gravy on top. If anyone is in the market, I'd find someone with a camaster to look at in person before making a decision.

Congrats, on the new stinger. I am envious.

So yours should be one of the new upgraded 2014 models then. I'll trade you a shark for it. lol

Yes, the new version Stinger I is shipping and has a ball screw Z axis, upgraded motors and an upgraded drive system.

Art,
    I would strongly advise the FTC option if you can afford it, all you have to do is change the router bit and press enter, the CNC will automatically measure the tool length and set Z0 on top of the material or on top of the spoilboard.
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking