Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cutting a Whole Bunch of Thin Strips

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ips&highlight=

Here is the guy from Poland: Nissim Avrahami.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    So if you want things done quickly and efficiently why would you not want them cut the correct width to start with. You could go from the table saw to the project without having to sand or go to the planer?
    Bill, I think you may have misunderstood that sentence. Using the previously described technique, if you have say 50 boards you want to rip onto strips, all 50 have to be the exact same width first. So if you have a pile of boards ranging from say 4" - 8" wide or more, you have to rip the entire stack to the same width first before you can start ripping strips Then your off-cuts would have to be sized for a second batch of parts. I skip all this extra work by just ripping against the fence. so it doesn't matter what the initial size of the boards is

Oh and FWIW everything I do is sanded before going out the door. Nothing goes from table saw to project without sanding. There are plenty of guys who do that quality of work and we have names for them around here, but no use in going down that path

JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Bill, I think you may have misunderstood that sentence. Using the previously described technique, if you have say 50 boards you want to rip onto strips, all 50 have to be the exact same width first. So if you have a pile of boards ranging from say 4" - 8" wide or more, you have to rip the entire stack to the same width first before you can start ripping strips Then your off-cuts would have to be sized for a second batch of parts. I skip all this extra work by just ripping against the fence. so it doesn't matter what the initial size of the boards is

Oh and FWIW everything I do is sanded before going out the door. Nothing goes from table saw to project without sanding. There are plenty of guys who do that quality of work and we have names for them around here, but no use in going down that path

JeffD
    I guess it is the size of strips, I don't like to cut anything 1/8" between the fence and the blade. I guess the strips that I cut the most are edge banding (1/8") and inlay strips that are as small as 1/16".

I never have to cut the boards all to the same size, with the Rockler jig you just put the board against the bearing and cut the strip, no need to have the boards any given width. They do have to have one straight edge but that is true with any way you cut the strips.

With the glue line rip blade I go from the table saw to the project. With edge banding, I glue them on and then sand them, nothing goes out of my shop until it is sanded.

Well done, yes it feels odd at first however it's safe and works very well...........Rod.