Thread: Problems with graphics being "clipped" using rotary attachment.

Problems with graphics being "clipped" using rotary attachment.

Hello,
    I am relatively new to laser engraving and was wondering if anyone might be able to provide some assistance? I have been having problems with a small part of my graphics or text being "clipped" off when using my rotary attachment to etch glass. This only happens with the rotary attachment connected, not when I am engraving on a flat surface. I am currently running an older Pinnacle 25W laser.

I have tried multiple things lately but this has left me scratching my head??

I believe I have my basic set-up in place.

1) Work area matches the circumference of my workpiece
    2) Graphics/text is inside my work area

When I run the job, everything starts/runs as normal until I get to the very last letter or graphics (whichever is longest vertically), then it "clips" off about the last 1/8" inch every time.

One of my trials was to add in an additional word (to extend this line vertically farther). The same result would happen. It would engrave everything normally, then clip the last 1/8". I have also tried different Font styles with same result.

After engraving is completed on my workpiece, the information window on the engraver it says "Your graphic was clipped. Adjust so that it is inside your work area". Looking at my set-up on the computer, these couple words of text I am trying to engrave is clearly inside my work area. Yet this does not seem to transfer to my workpiece.

If anyone can provide any assistance to me it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Mark Eilbes

Could it have something to do with your input of circumference? D= circumference / 3.1416 (pi)
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Blog Entries
    Are there any trailing spaces? Is the text box itself sized appropriately, regardless of whether or not the text fills to the end of the box?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replys to my issue. As far as the circumference issue goes, I will check into that again but I believe my set-up is okay.

Dan, Could you explain further what you mean by trailing spaces? I am a little unclear on that.

I will check on the issue with the text box but I believe I am set-up appropriately.

The one thing I did notice as I ran this job again was that the the laser goes through the motions of engraving but does not "fire" during the last few seconds of the run. It is like the engraver has received the correct information for the job, but for some reason something is keeping it from finishing completely.

Thanks,

Mark Eilbes

Blog Entries
    With text, if you add several spaces to the end of the line, the "space" part of the text may be outside the graphic bounding box (but on your screen, the visible text looks just fine).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eilbes View Post
    The one thing I did notice as I ran this job again was that the the laser goes through the motions of engraving but does not "fire" during the last few seconds of the run. It is like the engraver has received the correct information for the job, but for some reason something is keeping it from finishing completely.
    This sounds like a driver issue...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5