Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help identifying what species of wood this is

Need help identifying what species of wood this is

Hi all I am new to the forum. I hade been searching for a new hobby. I took shop class in vocational school and for got how much I like wood working. I plane a rough cut plank and I have no idea what species of hardwood it is can someone help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That looks like claro walnut to me. Very beautiful piece of wood there.

Thank you Malcolm. I have just started my adventure in woodworking. I have about 50 bdft
    of this and I hade no idea what it was

Work VERY carefully on that beautiful wood my friend. Any mistake and we'll come after you.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I see a table. Something like this redwood burl I'm working on.

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have no idea what species of wood that is but it doesn't matter! If it was in my shop it would probably be resawn and turned into bookmatched panels for cabinet doors. That wood is too good to be used all at once!

thanks for the replies. Like I said earlier I am as green to wood working as a tree still standing. Need some ideas for that wood. Thought about making my kitchen cabinets with it. I sorted my wood today and have 120 pieces of it. It is sawn 1x6x10' 2". My flooring is hickory. will it look ok need advice

Where are you located? That's a lot of wood and I'm sure you're cramped for space. I would be happy to help you out by storing some until you need it!

:<)

Ron

For sure Ron I bought this wood by accident it was suppose to be hickory I paid $150 for about 2000 bd ft of lumber. To make my flooring. I planned a piece because it was black I told my dad my wood hade molded I am glad I now know what it is. We where going to make firewood out of it.
    Man this hard typing on a iphone

Use Siri! It's a lot easier than the iPad IMO!

that might be the score of a lifetime, accidental though it may be. 2000 bdft for $150!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kellison View Post
    I have no idea what species of wood that is but it doesn't matter! If it was in my shop it would probably be resawn and turned into bookmatched panels for cabinet doors. That wood is too good to be used all at once!
    I couldn't agree more. I was also thinking Claro Walnut, but I'm no expert. It certainly doesn't look like Hickory.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Doesn't look like Claro Walnut to me,But I have seen every tree on earth yet.Who knows.
    My guess is Tiger wood or it's also called Goncalo Alves.Some trees must have come up from South America,I saw some last month at the wood keeper.Andrew

Hard to tell from the picture and not saying it is but I have some Bocote that looks almost exactly like that. Have a look at hobbithouseinc.com. There are some photos there of Bocote (and everything else!). You may be able to match it up. Also the endgrain is a good way to identify woods. That site has endgrain photos as well...

My guess is for wood that cheap it has to be Maple. I've had some wild looking, dark, striped heartwood from some maple before that was STUNNING! An endgrain pic would be nice and also if we could see if the pores of the wood are open or closed like maple is.
    If you don't have time to do it right the first time, then when are you going to find the time to do it right the second time?

Elijah when I get back home Friday I will take some pics of the end grain and post them. I purchased a ridgid 6 1/8" jointer.
    Is ridgid a reliable brand of jointer?