Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Light bulb insanity

Please don't bring the thread there. You won't like what I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    When my farm and home is forced to replace the seriously, 1000's of perfectly adequate bulbs with something else, it also makes another problem. I don't need a 25,000 hour light bulb on a center pivot that i'm sure a hail storm will destroy in several years. Thats wasting money, and it pisses me off that I am now forced too.
    Nobody is forcing anyone to give up bulbs one already owns. They won't be going door to door confiscating light bulbs. Rough service incandescant light bulbs are still legal to make and buy. There are at least two different companies making them right here in the USA. The bulbs are about $2 each from one company and supposedly last 20,000 hours. Cheaper than LED.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Well you could still use your old bulbs at the higher electric rate
    It's a false savings. Because the power rate is going up, the savings on power to match the hype of the more efficient bulb needs to increase 10% as well. Lower cost of equipment helps offset more cost, so let me use the old bulbs. My dollar today is worth more than a dollar will be worth 4 years from now, I don't want to pay forward with my hard earned dollars today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Perhaps a better description might be "well meaning, long sighted". If we don't do something about greenhouse gases we won't have a world for our children and grandchildren to live on.

Would you prefer to have lower cost energy today and an uninhabitable world tomorrow? Or air pollution like Beijing has today?

Mike
    Mike, in an effort to keep this friendly, let's just agree to disagree on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Nobody is forcing anyone to give up bulbs one already owns. They won't be going door to door confiscating light bulbs. Rough service incandescant light bulbs are still legal to make and buy. There are at least two different companies making them right here in the USA. The bulbs are about $2 each from one company and supposedly last 20,000 hours. Cheaper than LED.
    True, but they outlawed the manufacture of bulbs that don't meet a certain criteria designed to eliminate incandescents. The 100 watt have disappeared already, the 60's and 40's are gone at the end of the year. I'm glad the rough service found a loop hole, but for certain applications, a cheaper incandescent is seriously the best choice. Try using an led or cfl in the oven for example.

Traffic light bulbs are still manufactured too I think. I doubt you could find a incandescent traffic light left, but they are another loop hole source.

Perhaps a better description might be "well meaning, long sighted". If we don't do something about greenhouse gases we won't have a world for our children and grandchildren to live on.

Would you prefer to have lower cost energy today and an uninhabitable world tomorrow? Or air pollution like Beijing has today?

Mike
    There is more and more evidence accumulating to show that naturally occurring phenomena have such a great affect on climate that any human behavior is negligible in comparison. According to the most reliable sources, the earth has not warmed in the last 15 years. At this point, I think the real "climate change deniers" are those who choose to ignore this evidence. In any case, an "uninhabitable world" is only predicted by the fringe scientists.

True, but they outlawed the manufacture of bulbs that don't meet a certain criteria designed to eliminate incandescents. The 100 watt have disappeared already, the 60's and 40's are gone at the end of the year. I'm glad the rough service found a loop hole, but for certain applications, a cheaper incandescent is seriously the best choice. Try using an led or cfl in the oven for example.
    There are MANY exceptions to the light bulb law. One can still buy incandescent appliance light bulbs.

If you still want to use incandescents bulbs then buy up every one you can find, or simply switch to rough service incandescent light bulbs and you can get even get them in 100 watt. There are still ways to get incandescent light bulbs if really want them. I don't understand why anyone would run a light bulb exposed to hail, but I'm not a farmer and I'm sure there is a good reason for it.

Steve,since you mentioned the rough service bulbs . I noticed one day that our auto mechanic was using a cfl bulb in a trouble light under a car. When I commented that I thought it would break easily ,he intentionally dropped it a few inches onto the concrete and told me they are more unbreakable than the rough service standard bulbs and cheaper(if bought at Costco. I have found that to be true. Tired of those delicate halogen lights with portable oven-like heat, I made a shop light out of foam insulation. Octagon shape with one cfl in the middle. The 'bulb' is surrounded by two layers of angled mirrors. Diffuser is the cheap pebbly stuff. Ugly ,but quite bright and shock resistant. I've tested it in a dark room and it is much brighter that cfl without mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would run a light bulb exposed to hail, but I'm not a farmer and I'm sure there is a good reason for it.
    LOL, not sure about good reasons, pretty sure you can't be a farmer and think like that...

The one I mentioned was an indicator light on a pivot, it is in a enclosed fixture initially, but hail obliterates the fixture, cover and light, so it's cheaper to just run an exposed sacrificial bulb rather than replacing the whole cover each time it hails.

Mel, thanks for the idea, that makes sense. Trouble light take a beating for sure,

I tried a cfl in my trouble light Lasted about 10 minutes. Had it hooked to the hood bumped it with my heat and it exploded Lucky it was in an enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    There is more and more evidence accumulating to show that naturally occurring phenomena have such a great affect on climate that any human behavior is negligible in comparison. According to the most reliable sources, the earth has not warmed in the last 15 years. At this point, I think the real "climate change deniers" are those who choose to ignore this evidence. In any case, an "uninhabitable world" is only predicted by the fringe scientists.
    I don't know of any reliable evidence that demonstrates that human activity has has little or no effect on climate.

For some discussion by a reliable source, see here.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

This chart seems to disagree with your chart by a long shot.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CAQQsCUoAQ

They cherry picked the information. They went back far enough to make it look like a long time but made sure not to go back far enough to have the results they are shooting for be negated.

Or this

http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/13/st...edieval-times/
    Last edited by Leo Graywacz; 12-14-2013 at 4:07 PM.

I don't know of any reliable evidence that demonstrates that human activity has has little or no effect on climate.

For some discussion by a reliable source, see here.

Mike
    Leo just posted a couple of links. There are many more. I live in the same city as climatologist Dr. Roy Spencer and he has published many peer reviewed papers on the subject. He isn't well known because his research does not correspond to the theories on which so many famous climatologists have staked their careers.

LOL, not sure about good reasons, pretty sure you can't be a farmer and think like that...

The one I mentioned was an indicator light on a pivot, it is in a enclosed fixture initially, but hail obliterates the fixture, cover and light, so it's cheaper to just run an exposed sacrificial bulb rather than replacing the whole cover each time it hails.
    Wow, talk about rough service! I'm with you on this Steve. I have many uses for incandescents. I'm cheap so I look at the entire cost,not just the energy cost. You developed a good low cost solution for a problem and a law makes it obsolete, frustrating!
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 12-14-2013 at 10:44 PM.