Thread: aurio vs. japan woodworker rasps

aurio vs. japan woodworker rasps

Does anyone have experience with both of these rasps? Is the difference in price points worth it in the finish (both in tool finish and workpiece finish) and quality? I had a Woodcraft employee tell me there is no difference. Of course, I subsequently find out that Woodcraft purchased JW a year ago... So I'm not counting on any objectivity in that opinion, especially since I was standing in a Woodcraft when I received it. :-/

And by the way, just how in the heck do you pronounce Aurio, anyway?

Input appreciated.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Caff View Post
    Does anyone have experience with both of these rasps? Is the difference in price points worth it in the finish (both in tool finish and workpiece finish) and quality? I had a Woodcraft employee tell me there is no difference. Of course, I subsequently find out that Woodcraft purchased JW a year ago... So I'm not counting on any objectivity in that opinion, especially since I was standing in a Woodcraft when I received it. :-/

And by the way, just how in the heck do you pronounce Aurio, anyway?

Input appreciated.

Joe
    Joe, I believe you are referring to Auriou hand stitched rasps? I don't own any JW rasps, but I do own Auriou's, a good comparison is a Auriou is like a Lie-Nielsen plane, they will spoil you forever. They work wonderfully, just hold onto your wallet as you slip down the slope

I believe Auriou is pronounced Are you

If Japan Woodworker has its own label of hand-stitched European wood rasps, I've never heard of them. The Iwasaki files are very effective tools though and a lot of tool for the money.

I bought several Iwasaki carving files from woodcraft after posting questions here earlier this year. I like them a great deal. Its not hype. Theyre nice tools.

I dont have any Auriou rasps, but I plan to buy a couple. Julie Moriarty just posted about them and spoke very highly.

Fred

I don't see any hand stitched rasps on JW's site.

There are some Japanese hand stitched rasps imported by Stewart-McDonald - Dragon rasps. They look comparable to Aurio's, though they tend to be wider and pointier they should leave about the same surface on the wood for roughly the same grain size.

I like hand made rasps a lot, never had any use for a rasp until I tried an Aurio. There are a number of options for hand made rasps, Aurio's, Dragon, Blue Dan (Austrian made from Traditionalwoodworker.com), and the ones from Tools for Working Wood, I think they are made in Pakistan. I've only tried the Aurio's, wish I could afford them all and give you a true comparison.