Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reamer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    The advice about just following the taper on the blade is right on. But if you really want to geek out (and oh, do I), or if you are making a blade from scratch, you can use the formula length x 2tan(x/2), where x is the included angle, to find the difference in diameters on your cone. So, if you have a 10-inch blade, then 10 x 2(tan 3) = 1.048. Interestingly, these are not the numbers Jennie has in the article--she goes from 1 1/4 to 9/16, which is more like 4 degrees. Eli Bazarri's website says his reamers go from 1/14 to 5/16, which, assuming a 10-inch blade, would be about 5.4 degrees. That, or my math is wrong!
    I corresponded with Tim Manney (on his blog) about a month ago, and he uses 1/16th thick blades for his reamers; he says the thicker blade helps a lot. They are also about 10 inches and go from 1 1/4 to 3/8.
    Sorry for going all math nerd on everybody.
    Geek away, Steve! Thanks for the info!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

I'll probably use an old handsaw blade to make the blade for my reamer. So let's say I want to make a 6-degree taper. Does that mean there is a 6-degree difference from one edge to the other? Or does it mean that each side is 6 degrees from the center line? The second options looks more like the reamers I see sold on some of the chairmakers' websites.

I've made a few stools, and tried reaming, etc. For a shop stool, assuming you are making through tenons and wedging them, you don't need to mess with tapered mortises.

Really nice stools Sean.

Thanks, Chris. Just a form explained well by Mr. Dunbar in a couple articles over the years - nothing original but my own minor turning or wood choices. I wasn't trying to show off the stools so much as show Curtis that I was speaking from experience and not just asserting something "I think."

Actually, that's really helpful Sean. I'm good at overcomplicating things and am still learning when and where to apply various types of joints.

Did you taper the stretcher tenons/mortises since they aren't through/wedged?

Love those, Sean! As beautiful as the wood is, the red lacquer look really speaks to me. Did you turn the seat scoops on those?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

The stretchers are under compression in this layout as the shoulder to shoulder length is a bit longer than the legs would dictate when dry fit, as per Dunbar. So, no, no taper there either.

Thanks, Joshua. The "red lacquer" is Salem Red "Old Fashioned" milk paint sanded and coated with BLO. I like it too. That was the first one I made, and I think the splay is a bit wide - interesting enough, though, it has held up very well. The design is forgiving, I guess.

Yeah, I turned everything, the seats, legs and stretchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Niedermier View Post
    I'll probably use an old handsaw blade to make the blade for my reamer. So let's say I want to make a 6-degree taper. Does that mean there is a 6-degree difference from one edge to the other? Or does it mean that each side is 6 degrees from the center line? The second options looks more like the reamers I see sold on some of the chairmakers' websites.
    Six degrees total. 3 degrees each side from the center line. Draw it out and you'll see. Though, as I said above, I think most of these reamers are actually more like 5 degrees. I just had another look at Jennie's article; she states that "most compass blades have a taper between 1:10 and 1:12." Now, 1:10 is 5.7 degrees, 1:12 is 4.7 degrees. So, if those are the slopes she's going for, then she definitely prefers less than 6 degrees, regardless of what it says.
    Last edited by Steve Voigt; 12-18-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: I'm anal

Beautiful work, Sean. I really like the milk paint. Have you ever tried the black and red thing, where the black wears through to expose the red?
    I turned a bunch of green oak chair legs this fall; they are drying now. This experience confirmed to me that I suck at turning! Your turnings look really nice, on the other hand. You must have a good sized lathe to swing those seats!