Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reamer

reamer

One of my next projects will be a shop stool. I plan to shape round legs and tenon them into an ash seat with tapered tenons. To taper the mortises, I was going to buy a tapered reamer from one of the Windsor chairmakers (not sure which one yet). Then I saw this on eBay: search item# 370786274725
    There were several of these, and the descriptions said they are for machinists, plumbers, luthiers, etc. So can something like this be used for chairmaking? I didn't figure out the angle of the taper, but even if it's off a bit, the price is right. I don't have a lathe or I'd conisder making my own.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-17-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link.

I use that, for well, reaming holes. The only issue with one like that, is a lot of them are small. When they get large, they get pricey. The one you show only goes up to 5/8". I have no idea how big the wholes for your legs need to be; 5/8" seems a bit on the small side. The cheapest route for larger reamers in wood seems to be the chair makers approach of a cone type thing with a scraper inset into it.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Actually - Lee Valley has some reamers that aren't too much money up front:

The large here goes up to 1 and 3/16, for under 30 bucks:
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...40,53317,54864

The one here is a little more adjustable, for a little under 50 bucks:
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...80,42240,53317

Those might be better solutions. Another option would be to see if there's a local woodworking school or chairmaker that would let you borrow or use something.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Agree with everything Josh said. If you do decide to go the homemade chair reamer route, check out Jennie Alexander 's site, and blogs by Peter Galbert and Tim Manney; lots of good info on reamers.

I made the one according to the model on Jennie Alexander's site and it worked very well. It was, however, a little difficult to line up with the sight lines because of the flat end. So, I made another one more in line with the one on Peter Galbert's site, with a conical end, which is also the one that Curt Buchanan uses. It is much easier to line up with the sight lines. I suspect one could be made without a lathe, especially since it's the blade that does the cutting and , I wouldn't think, require a perfectly formed wood cone. Buchanan recommends the 6° taper. That's a good enough recommendation for me. BTW, the price was right; I just used a keyhole saw blade with the teeth ground off and the edge ground at a 45° angle. It took maybe 2 hours to make.

Those multi tooth reamers will make 6 sided holes in wood from inevitable chatter. The best ones for wood have just 1 cutting edge. LV sells those types.

Thanks guys. I'm going to sweet talk my uncle into turning one for me, and I'll pick it up at Christmas.

George, do you have any thoughts on the degree of taper on the LV reamers? The reason I ask is that Curt Buchanan and Peter Galbert recommend 6°, but I don't know what Mike Dunbar recommends. I have reamed sockets and turned matching 6° tapers and those suckers really stick tightly. I agree about the single cutter reamers.

Thanks.

Not to hi-jack the thread but how do you determine the 6o taper? I've wanted to make one of these for a while but never really had a chance to research the turning technique to get an exact numerical taper.

Thanks!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Sorry,I never made Windsor chairs. Well,1 back in 1964,but it wasn't a true Windsor. I don't know what angle Dunbar recommends. I am sure there must be a site dedicated to them. So many want to make them. I'm sitting on a Windsor right now. We found a small factory in Adamstown(or close to it) Pa. back in the 80's. He made nice ones unfinished for a reasonable price. Can't recall his name though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hulette View Post
    Not to hi-jack the thread but how do you determine the 6o taper? I've wanted to make one of these for a while but never really had a chance to research the turning technique to get an exact numerical taper.

Thanks!
    If you take a look at Jennie Alexander's site, you will see that a typical keyhole saw (she calls it a compass saw, which it probably is, but my dad was a carpenter and that's what we called it) already is at the right angle (no pun intended). Simply grind off the teeth and then file or grind a 45º edge on both sides and there you have it. Anyway that's what I did and it works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    If you take a look at Jennie Alexander's site, you will see that a typical keyhole saw (she calls it a compass saw, which it probably is, but my dad was a carpenter and that's what we called it) already is at the right angle (no pun intended). Simply grind off the teeth and then file or grind a 45º edge on both sides and there you have it. Anyway that's what I did and it works very well.
    Thanks Bruce! I looked at the site but didn't pick up that tidbit out--- duh. I bought the saw blade some months ago but never corelated that as being the proper angle!

Thanks again!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

George, would that be Fred Emhoff? I think he's retired now, however he made nice spoon bits and a nice reamer that was a tapered cone with a cutting edge milled into the body. The angle was about 11 degrees, however, I've switched to 6 degrees now.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

The name seems familiar. But,I only met him once in a flea market,and another time to pick up the chairs about in 1987 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hulette View Post

Thanks!
    The advice about just following the taper on the blade is right on. But if you really want to geek out (and oh, do I), or if you are making a blade from scratch, you can use the formula length x 2tan(x/2), where x is the included angle, to find the difference in diameters on your cone. So, if you have a 10-inch blade, then 10 x 2(tan 3) = 1.048. Interestingly, these are not the numbers Jennie has in the article--she goes from 1 1/4 to 9/16, which is more like 4 degrees. Eli Bazarri's website says his reamers go from 1/14 to 5/16, which, assuming a 10-inch blade, would be about 5.4 degrees. That, or my math is wrong!
    I corresponded with Tim Manney (on his blog) about a month ago, and he uses 1/16th thick blades for his reamers; he says the thicker blade helps a lot. They are also about 10 inches and go from 1 1/4 to 3/8.
    Sorry for going all math nerd on everybody.