Thread: Spokeshave cabinet

Spokeshave cabinet

I just finished this spokeshave cabinet. I used handtools for all of the major joinery work, which was a lot of fun.

It is made from select pine from the big box store and a 12 x 16 glass pane. Dovetailed casework, and 7 rows of spokeshave holders that can be stacked 2 spokeshaves deep.

The finish is briwax over 2 coats of while milk paint, over red barn milk paint. Posting as this may give someone else an idea as well. Thanks

Very handsome. And a great selection of shaves too!

You are a serious collector of shaves! Nice cabinet indeed.
    Paul

Very nice cabinet. I think the pine is a great look. Did you leave some compression room in your joints?
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

In the dovetail joints? Probably not, tell me about it please?

Not much to tell I suppose. I'm not asking out of expertise, rather just curious about it. Softer woods can compress easily so I wondered if it were advantageous to cut joints a little bit fat and let them mash together a bit.

A cabinet to be proud of. Well done.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Bobby, I understand your compression question. I did not purposely intend to leave compression room in the joints, I simply cut the tails like you would for anything else....but then again, my cuts are not perfectly clean, nor perfectly straight...and that in itself provides a bit of compression.. 3 of the 4 sides were very tight, the fourth I could remove by pulling it. Once I glued it and planeed the sides, the tails looked good.

A fitting home for some fine tools...
    Nice work Brad.

Quote Originally Posted by brad jansen View Post
    Bobby, I understand your compression question. I did not purposely intend to leave compression room in the joints, I simply cut the tails like you would for anything else....but then again, my cuts are not perfectly clean, nor perfectly straight...and that in itself provides a bit of compression.. 3 of the 4 sides were very tight, the fourth I could remove by pulling it. Once I glued it and planeed the sides, the tails looked good.
    Gotcha. They look really good. Again, I'm no expert. I've just fiddled a bit and it seems that the softer the wood, the better my joints look if I skip on the paring. Skil aside, I wondered if it'd be helpful for tight fits be it tails, tenons or otherwise.

Again, a very cool cabinet. Great work.

Cool cabinet. You're fortunate to have the wall space to be able to put it. I have zero wall space left in my shop. I store my spokeshaves in a LV spokeshave roll and put the roll in a drawer. I have enough spoke shaves that I'll probably have to buy a second roll if I buy any more.

Mike

[BTW, the LV spokeshave roll is a good product. Holds lots of spokeshaves, wraps up nicely and has a carrying handle.]

Spoke Shaves01.jpgSpoke Shaves02.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-10-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nice work! Looks good--- and appropriate to the tools! Thanks for sharing.
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

I have the spokeshave roll also, and am now feeling quite inadequate.

Beautiful cabinet.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.