Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you Heat your Shop?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I did the portable kerosene and propane heater routine for several years. I finally installed a natural gas heater made by Sterling, (similar to the Hot Dawg by Modine). Total cost installed was ~ $500 IIRC. It’s one of the best shop investments that I have made.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I assume with all kinds of gas stoves you have ventilation to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Here's what I use in my 24'x28' detached garage here in Chilly Minnesota:

http://www.radiantsystemsinc.com/

They are electric radiant heaters mounted up near the ceiling (think baseboard heaters but about 6" from the ceiling). I absolutely LOVE them. No worries about CO, leaking gas fuel, refilling, etc. Normally I keep my garage at about 45 degrees but when I go out there to work on my car or motorcycle, I can bump the heat up to 55 and it only takes about 20 minutes to get up to temp.

I LOVE them so much I put one in a basement bedroom just for some supplemental heat in the winter (rather than run more ductwork). I'm also going to use them when we finish our basement family room.

JMHO!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I have an approved by EPA, DEQ, and maybe even the NSA wood stove that I bought to replace a "home built" one that my welding shop class built before I retired. Caught the guy asleep and bought it for $150 and sold the home built for $175. Doesn't heat a well as the home built one did but I changed for fear if I were to have a fire, whether caused by the stove or not, my insurance might not cover it with the non approved stove in there. My shop is fully insulated and sheet rocked so is easy to heat. Nice part about a wood stove is you never have any less then perfect projects leave your shop!!! Has been 0 or below the last few nights but by loading the stove in the evening, it will still be in the 40"s in the A.M. inside the shop. My woodworking skills must be improving. Have to go to the woodpile once in a while now!
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 12-09-2013 at 1:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    How do you Heat (or cool) your Shop?

Even here in Sunny Southern California working in an attached garage, I'm thinking ahead to a safe heating and cooling unit. The inside shop temperature varies from about 45° to 100°. I can wear extra layers in the winter

What do you do to heat your shop in the really cold parts of the country?

Stay warm.

Brian
    I am in Irvine Southern CA and this morning my garage dipped down to 62 degrees. In the Winter, 60 is the coldest I've ever seen and I just use a portable heater for the winter and portable air conditioner and vent the hot air out through the air vent on the wall during the summer. Also I park the car inside the garage so the heat from the engine works great when I go out to work after diner.
    Mike

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I assume with all kinds of gas stoves you have ventilation to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide?
    Yes, it has a power vent through the roof, there are no fumes.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    No heat, no cool.

But for me, no problem
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

5k watt electric ceiling mounted heater. There seems to be several brands that all look the same.

Granted, my shop area is only around 400sf, but when it was near zero outside this Saturday, I was wearing a t-shirt and quite comfy.

Summer? Here it's never hot enough to worry about.

No matter your location - insulation is key and makes a huge difference. R-30 minimum in walls and ceiling at my place.
    Stan

In my still partially in use old shop, the attached garage, I used an electric heater and left the door open to the house. In the new shop, I'm installing a forced air furnace and ac. It's been -10 to -30 F here for over a week, in the summer it's often 100+. Lots of insulation required in this area.

10. I use a 30,000 btu propane heater.

I have had a Hot Dawg propane heater in my shop since 2002. I use portable tanks (30#) with a switch over regulator like they have on travel trailers. It has worked GREAT. My shop is stand alone, 20' X 20', 10 foot ceilings. R30 in the ceiling and R13 in the walls. I live in Utah where we are currently having an unusual cold period. the heater works extremely well. My estimated cost to heat my shop is $100 - $120 per season. Depending on use and weather.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Hi Brian,

If you remember, my shop is fairly large, and I use a 240V space heater. In our weather, it cycles off about 2/3 of the time I have it on. The shop is insulated pretty well.

Rick Potter

Another Hot Dawg here closing in on 10 years real fast. Mine ran on propane about the first 5 or 6 years, NG since then.

electric-utility-heater-dd.jpg
    17,500 watts heats the garage to 60º from 45º in about an hour.
    Bought it several years ago from Greenhousesuperstore when the price was tolerable.
    Was shipped by Grainger.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

When i build my shop 5 or 6 years ago, i had hydronic heating installed in the concrete floor. Best heating system i've ever been exposed to. A bit pricey, but perfect IMO for a workshop. Warm, clean, quiet, no air moving....nice. I have it set for 60 F and it's probably too warm at that temp. Plus the building is super insulated. I work in short sleeves and shorts all winter in Northwestern PA.