Thread: "HAMMER TIME!" (and not by MC Hammer!) - Gloat

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa

"HAMMER TIME!" (and not by MC Hammer!) - Gloat

Big, long, powerful semi pulled up at my house yesterday.... only a month later than originally scheduled. "Something Awesome This Way Comes"....
    Another addition to my total shop refurb with what I'm calling "Lifelong" tools. What a monster! 16"... size DOES matter!

Now if only I already had 220V outlets installed...sigh...

Another truck is headed my way on Monday with a "Mustard Monster". Another gloat when assembled! Woohoo!

A3-41 Pallet.jpgSet for Jointing.jpgSet for Planer.jpgSilent Partner Cutter.jpg
    Last edited by Frank Trinkle; 12-07-2013 at 6:48 PM.
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Nice purchase Frank. I've been longing for this machine. Saw it at a woodworking show and went to Felder's open house in Delaware last year. Saving my pennies. Let us know how you like it once it's up and running. That silent cutter head is sweet.

if your interested in the older 12" version pm for details.

Ah 16" and the spiral head you went all out, very nice! I see you got the digital dial as well, well worth it IMHO!

Hope you have lots of DC for it, that will produce lots of chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Ah 16" and the spiral head you went all out, very nice! I see you got the digital dial as well, well worth it IMHO!

Hope you have lots of DC for it, that will produce lots of chips.
    JDS Tools 3HP Cyclone system and JDS HP Air Filtration system headed my way. Due to arrive in two weeks. (The 3HP is essentially the same as Laguna's, but with better fittings and QC from what my research shows)
    The JDS pulls 2300 CFM from an 8" outlet. It comes with a 3-way 4" splitter, but I won't use that. Reduce to 6" at length, and then 6, 5, or 4" to various machines.

One of the key features of the cyclone is the 50 gallon mobile drum for getting rid of the chips...mostly to my compost heap.

For info: http://jdstools.com/3hpcyclone3100-c...collector.aspx
    Filtration: http://jdstools.com/air-tech-hp-air-cleaner.aspx

Cheers,

Frank
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

Ben Weingarten

Beautiful machine, Frank.

Lucky, lucky guy.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Beautiful machine, Frank.

Lucky, lucky guy.

Rick Potter
    I don't know if I'd call myself "lucky", unless you are referring to the LOML, who doesn't give me grief over purchases like this one!

I also don't know if I'll EVER have a 16" wide piece of lumber to maximize the width of the Jointer/Planer....but you never know, and I'd be forlorn if I DID have that piece and no way to properly joint or plane it.

So why spend this kind of $$??? Simple:

It's my retirement plan. Buying now while we have the income to splurge. Prices will only go up, and down the road it will become increasingly more difficult to justify expensive purchases as income goes down.

My plan is "Lifelong" tools. Buying the products now that I don't ever expect to want to upgrade...and at 2013/2014 prices. This Hammer Jointer/Planer with the Silent Partner cutter set me back over $7000.00, but well worth it because I don't EVER expect to have to upgrade it. The same holds for the Powermatic 3520B lathe coming on Monday, and the Laguna Italian LT20 and Laguna 14X14SUV Bandsaws I've purchased recently. I plan to upgrade my SawStop PCS table saw to the full-size Industrial model later this year. Additionally, I plan for a Jet 22-44 Oscillating Drum Sander, and a Laguna 6" Belt sander. I bought a Delta 18-900L Floor Drill Press recently as well. Ordered a Laguna Revo mini-lathe for fun. Finally, I plan to increase my Festool holdings dramatically over the next 6-12 months. I already have ETS125, RO 150/3, LS-130, the Festool Vacu-clamp system from Europe, CXS drill, Carvex PSC420 cordless, Centrotec Installer Kit (Europe), Imperial Forstner bit set, Centrotec ratchet set, Festool 10-bit router set, multiple NAINA items, Festool Stabila levels, CT36 Dust Extractor, Syscarts, Sortainers, and more. Just beginning!

CNC is the wave of the future, and I'll buy what I think will last me for my purposes as soon as possible. Additionally, I will spend nearly $8000 on a new 3D printer from the Netherlands in order to prototype, and/or fabricate various tools and adapters that are not readily available online. (eg.. imperial to metric adapters for DC outlets). You never know.... I might invent the improved mouse trap and make millions!

While some may think this excessive, I don't want to be caught a few years from now wishing I had purchased some piece of equipment while it was a lot cheaper, and when I had the income to spare. Just my thinking. Others may differ.....

Cheers,

Frank

Ben Weingarten

Very nice. I have its little brother. You wont be disappointed. Congrats!

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Trinkle View Post
    One of the key features of the cyclone is the 50 gallon mobile drum for getting rid of the chips...mostly to my compost heap.
    Good call on the 50 gallon bin, I can fill my 30 gallon drum in maybe 15-20 minutes of planing with my a3-31 so makes sure to keep a close eye on it anyway. I suspect that the spiral head will produce chips that pack better so hopefully you'll be able to go a bit longer.

Very nice purchase Frank. I have the exact same machine I purchased just about a year ago with the same tool for life thought process as well. I think you will like this machine a great deal. It makes a boat load of chips very, very fast. The only critical comment I have (which is more a comment about me than the machine) is that I did not realize just how soon I would get sick of cranking that planer bed up and down in only a year. As much as I like this machine a AD741 with Power Drive maybe lurking a bit in the future.