Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cnc lathe

cnc lathe

Anyone use a cnc lathe? Standalone not 4th axis. Wood or metal.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

yes I do ,I have a Rockwell lathe that I added to my cnc built the 4th axis and used my own lathe.
    Works good ,takesabout 20 min to go from indexer to milling machine 3 axis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKzGCAM_QyM started to experiment
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wra5FjQmG8I belt driven
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbnsWgiJX7E leg turning
    have more info search utube

Yes I have a Rikon lathe with extension bed , can be used as a lathe or stand alone indexer . IMG_1429.jpgIMG_1430.jpgIMG_1431.jpg

Blog Entries
    Nicely done, Bob, nicely done... did you design/assemble that yourself?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

The stepper and mount for B axis , I got idea from Shopbot forum , the rails , carriage / gantry I designed and assembled

I have a Mazak Quick Turn 6T. I use it for metal, mostly titanium, and some wood. It uses an integral spindle and motor so there's no belts or gears. It can hold a ten thousandth of an inch all day long. It's a great machine.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Boone View Post
    I have a Mazak Quick Turn 6T. I use it for metal, mostly titanium, and some wood. It uses an integral spindle and motor so there's no belts or gears. It can hold a ten thousandth of an inch all day long. It's a great machine.
    Droool. What are you making with it?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I make titanium rings for a living. We work in titanium, stainless, cobalt chrome, and black zirconium. Custom rings made to order and sold on a website.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Droool. What are you making with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Boone View Post
    I make titanium rings for a living. We work in titanium, stainless, cobalt chrome, and black zirconium. Custom rings made to order and sold on a website.
    Yeppers... my wedding band was made by Bruce. Tension setting of black zirconium holding a yellow diamond.

Mazak makes the real deal. I drool on their machines whenever I go to a show. If I could power it, I would have gotten a 4th axis with the sub spindle and Y axis. It doesn't get a whole lot better than that.
    Boone Titanium Rings

Does it have a Kitagawa Chuck Bruce? when I had the machine shop pretty much everything was Mazak, two H500-50's, two H400-60's, a QT28N and sundry small bar fed QT's. Still love Mazak machines although not a fan of their lasers

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    I'm going to ask, neh, demand you guys stop talking about such machines out of respect for my health... I'm going to get all twitterpated and have a coronary.

When your over Dan you are of course welcome to come round and have a play

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

The chuck I have is a small 6" one with 3 jaws and only about 1/8" of travel. I believe it is Kitagawa and is hydraulic. I need to adjust the jaws in or out a couple serrations to turn different sized bars. Most of our rings comes from 1" bar but we get some bigger stuff, like up to 1 3/8" for tension sets. My lathe is small and pretty tight inside. It has a 12 tool turret so I don't have to change out tools for my normal stuff.

Interesting that you're not a fan of their lasers. I had the sheet metal enclosure for my fiber laser made at a place that used a Mazak laser. The cut box has ribs inside that aren't painted, so I can see the raw cut. It is probably the best laser cut I've seen. I mean it looks machined and polished! I can only wish I got cuts that nice with no slag whatsoever. Whoever dialed that one in really knew what they were doing.
    Boone Titanium Rings

The chuck I have is a small 6" one
    B206 by any chance? the B series are short stroke but they do a BT206 long stroke with 13mm of diameter movement (They should run from the same cylinder) A lot of the reason Kit chucks were so good was the assembly guy (Lawrence Asaopardi) who looked at every chuck he built like most people see their children

(I was the lead engineer at Kitagawa for some time) it really was a fantastic place to work with a great bunch of guys. (we had a few giggles when people tried U-drilling chuck billets with 58mm Sandvick U-drills with no tips in them,it's surprising how well a friction welded drill body will stick to a 80kg steel billet)

From memory if you submitted the materials spec sheet to Yamazaki they would send over a config file for you for the Lasers. I love the machines (and have had quite a few) but the Mitsu's were easier to deal with when things went tilt so I ended up going with two of those

cheers

Dave

edit: Have a look at the CR42 chuck Bruce, the tir is astounding even for a collet chuck.
    Last edited by Dave Sheldrake; 12-13-2013 at 8:41 PM. Reason: added an afterthought
    You did what !