Thread: Re-purposed blown bowl

Re-purposed blown bowl

I had a beautiful lump of Bocote (Central America, specific gravity over 1.0, so the wood does not float), and the coloration on it was simply amazing. It is very dense, oily wood, sort of like lignum vitae. It turned like butter! The outside was beautiful and it came off so clean with the chisel, that I started my sanding at 240 grit. No tearing at all. I was so proud that I was able to make a perfectly square top. No chipping on the corners, all perfect 90 degrees on all 4 sides. I got the entire outside sanded, flipped it over, and started cutting on the inside. I chucked it with a recessed hole instead of a extended plug, because I wanted as much height as possible. I drilled a forsner bit hole in the middle, correctly measuring to leave about a quarter-inch bottom, including the recessing. I calculated enough space so that I even had room to get rid of the center point divot from the forsner bit. What I did not calculate was after getting the divot removed, to make sure I had enough room to make the bottom of the bowl FLAT. I mis-calculated just a weeeee bit on my measurements....and blew out the bottom. So, what do you do with a perfectly good funnel?

Here was my solution. I have a 4" diameter marble made from uranium glass, and after cleaning up the frayed funnel bottom, I inverted it and made it a stand for my giant marble! ("When life gives you lemons......")

Dave Peterson

BocoteBalls.jpg

Nice save David ... I was gonna suggest you send it to me and I'll make something out of it ....
    John 3:16

Blog Entries
    Put a UV LED inside
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Put a UV LED inside
    I did. It works great. Here is a pic.

lemonade.jpg

Blog Entries
    Cool! Can you tell the future with that thing? What's LV going to have for Cyber Monday?

Great save and Bocote is great turning wood. It will turn very dark like many tropical, darn it.