Thread: New Nova chuck and jaws

New Nova chuck and jaws

I have been away for awhile so I don't know if anyone has posted about the new chuck and jaws from Nova. Wood Craft has it in their latest flyer. It looks nice... Paul

have not heard about new chuck from Nova, unless you are talking about the very large size jaws.

this is new to me..... Vicmarc had finally released thier oval turning chuck based on Prof. Johannes Volmer's design (http://www.volmer---ovaldrehen.de/englisch.htm) with counterbalance weights.

but its Vicmarc

I see that they have the SuperNova on sale. I had this chuck since 2010 and really like it. I have nothing to compare it to since it is the only chuck I have.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I believe Paul was talking about the quick change chuck:
    http://www.teknatool.com/Infinity_quick_change.htm
    Looks like the have an upgrade kit for their "old" chucks that replaces the slides with the new quick change slides.
    Also looks like you'd have to buy all new jaws...

wonder what the lifespan of the avialability older chuck jaws is..

5. I have 5 SuperNova chucks..........4 are the SN2 and one original supernova. For Christmas, my youngest son got me a Hurricane 100 and a bedan tool. He had asked back in November what woodturning tools could he get that I would want and might not already have. I had gotten the HTC 125 back a few months ago, and I really like this line of chucks....they are really good quality and you cannot find a better value in my opinion....about $140.

I put it together yesterday and ran it on my lathe........it runs true just like my HTC 125..........I just wanted another chuck with 2" jaws [standard] because I have different jaws on all my others except one of the SN2's.......at times I want to put one on my midi Delta 46-460 and one on my big 18/47 grizzly .......this is especially helpful when you are turning a piece with multiple parts and you need to be able to keep one part on the lathe while working on the other one.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Looks like the have an upgrade kit for their "old" chucks that replaces the slides with the new quick change slides.

I saw them at the symposium in Tampa. They also have adapters for the old jaws. The new jaws look heavier.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post

The information on the website says that old jaws can be used. An Infinity Retro Kit (SKU 8200) is shown with a list price of $39.99.

I went and looked a little deeper after my original reply -- here is a link to a new website just for the Infinity System. Any exisitng NOVA chuck can be upgrasded, and any jaw can be retrofitted to Infinity.
    http://www.novainfinitychuck.com/home-1.html

I'm not sure I'd want to buy a Retro Kit for every set of jaws I have (about 10), but maybe a few. This is good news for me. I have been making peppermills for Christmas gifts, and really tired of all the jaw changes. I have a G3 and a Midi, but still would prefer this new style chuck if it is a good as claimed.

On a side note, Woodcraft has the Midi on sales for $79.99 on their website (page 2 of a bunch of pages of sales items). I am almost convinced I ought to just get another one of them for now.
    Last edited by Lee Reep; 12-26-2013 at 8:19 PM. Reason: new info

Anyone know the price of the new chuck and the conversion kit? I have 2 SN2's

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    Anyone know the price of the new chuck and the conversion kit? I have 2 SN2's
    Woodcraft's sale flyer for next month lists the new chuck at $299. No mention in the flyer of a price for retrofit kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Reep View Post
    The information on the website says that old jaws can be used. An Infinity Retro Kit (SKU 8200) is shown with a list price of $39.99.

I went and looked a little deeper after my original reply -- here is a link to a new website just for the Infinity System. Any exisitng NOVA chuck can be upgrasded, and any jaw can be retrofitted to Infinity.
    http://www.novainfinitychuck.com/home-1.html
    Good find, I had seen the chuck upgrade, but not the jaw upgrade. Could get pricy thought!

Looks like the chuck upgrade is $120 at tools-plus.

Thanks for all the replies....may want this chuck down the road...Paul

Digging through the jaw sets shown with the new Infinity chucks tells me that Teknatool finally addressed the really "odd" step sizes in their old jaws.

Personally I've very impressed. Although the expense means I will certainly not be scrapping all my old jaws/chucks and buying new ones.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.