Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NDA for a $45 job.

NDA for a $45 job.

A company wants us to do a custom made $45 acrylic award.
    After accepting price and sending us artwork , now they are insisting we sign an 11 page legal document.
    It's an Non disclosure agreement.
    It needs to be signed and witnessed by both parties - all just to use their logo which THEY want on the award.
    They are miffed cos I told them to get lost after 3 or 4 mails about this.
    This is my final reply to them

I am Rodney Gold , MD of Toker Bros and I declined to sign your NDA.

It is an 11 page legal document with witnesses required and I REFUSE to sign anything like
    that without having my lawyer peruse it , costing me money and time.

Your request is plainly rediculous , If YOU asking us to use your logo on a R500 ($45) award is
    something we need to sign an NDA of that type for , I would rather not do the job.

Rodney Gold
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

11 pages to protect a logo? That is insane. Is this a widely-known brand? You don't have to name names, just wondering if I'd recognize the name.

Local finance section of a big retailer (the part that issues credit to buyers and does store cards etc)
    It's a South African co ..
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    An NDA for a logo (which should be in the public eye already) is, to put it mildly, moronic.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

It may just be a left hand right hand Rod, most big companies expect NDA's but I would think somebody in the secretarial dept took it literally without reading what was being asked for.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

You did the right thing in my opinion....
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Rodne ,right now they are wondering how you failed to understand how beautiful their logo is. You did the the right thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    They are miffed cos I told them to get lost after 3 or 4 mails about this.
    I surprised you didn't do it immediately lol! You have more patience than me :P
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

The really sad part is that they probably don't have clue #1 as to why you dumped them as a customer.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Wow,

I could see a simple agreement that gives you permission to use their logo for this one time use and restricts you from using it again unless similarly authorized. But an 11 page NDA? Thanks for sharing this with us! The legal company or department doing their work must be laughing their billable hours off all the way to the bank.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

If they are trying to prevent you from using a logo they supply in the future, then a non-disclosure agreement isn't even the right mechanism to do that - at least in the US. That is what patents or copyrights are for, depending on what it is.

Hey, kids may be just dying to wear such a cool logo on their hats or shirts...I mean what's
    cooler than a finance logo, right? Rodney could steal the logo and make trillions of dollars
    from it I'm sure.....
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Wow,

I could see a simple agreement that gives you permission to use their logo for this one time use and restricts you from using it again unless similarly authorized. But an 11 page NDA? Thanks for sharing this with us! The legal company or department doing their work must be laughing their billable hours off all the way to the bank.

Dave
    Yes, in fact I have done this a few times. Less than one page, no notary needed. This reminds me of the time a large commercial real estate company wanted me to name them as additional insured on my business liability insurance to install signs on their interior directories, which I refused. These had magnets on the back and I simply removed the old and placed the new ones on. They decided to waive the requirement.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I think a quote for such an undertaking should include all the time needed to do it, therefore, if your company runs at $145 an hour or more, then that company can afford to pay their lawyers and yours and all the time taken, Amos
    PS some workers have no idea at what it takes to run a business!
    Good better best, never let it rest, til your good is better and your better best.
    Omni Pro 3000 with 80watt Laser tube
    Gravograph M 20+

I think Amos has the right idea. How about a quote for the job without an NDA and one with? $45 without, $445 with.