Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your wood shavings?

What do you do with your wood shavings?

What do you do with your wood shavings? I usually put them in the yard waste bin but it's too late in the year for that anymore until spring. So what to do with them until then?

If you go up to the top right corner, in the search box and type in wood shavings. About 10 posts show up that give a lot of answers to yuor question.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

Is this a place for conversation or just research?

Not a Minnesota answer, but I keep on filling in the yard holes. They start with gophers, followed by dogs chasing them by digging, followed filling them with 30 gallons of shavings as a time. Wild weather in San Diego today. Sprinkling at 63°.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Oak and maple go in the compost pile. Walnut goes in the trash. And, that is a Minnesota answer.

I think I have the best deal going.......

I have a fellow down the road from me, that has laying hens. He loves my shavings for the floor of the chicken house, and in return he gives me free range eggs and all the paper feed bags I need for bagging my turnings to dry.

I always make sure there's no walnut, or anything else in the shavings that could be bad for his girls.

Simon, not Minn, but same circumstances here. Last yard waste pick up was last week. Can is now empty, and will fill throughout winter. By spring it will be overflowing with shavings and the remainder will go into 30 gal. bags and in the garbage can.

I use mine as mulch for flower garden paths and for mulching around trees and shrubs. I do not use walnut shavings for mulch.

I have seen Craigslist ads offering shavings for horse bedding, some free and some selling. Of course, I don't know if there are any takers!

Mulch mulch and more mulch . . of various colors and textures . . . sort of exotic looking at times . . . wife loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    Oak and maple go in the compost pile. Walnut goes in the trash. And, that is a Minnesota answer.
    I use the walnut to mulch areas where I don't want anything to grow. Everything else is composted, unless it gets used first to start a fire.
    Last edited by Doug Herzberg; 11-30-2013 at 8:50 AM. Reason: typo
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Another Minnesota answer. I use them to help start my fire pit and for browns in my compost.

Remember no mulch close to the house rain well slash on to the siding and it leave a stain that wont come off. Purchased mulch has something in it the stops this.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Three friends with chickens
    Two friends that do pit-fired pottery
    Then we use some as fire starter
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

When I was turning a lot I used to pile up the shavings and burn them. I'd wait till the pile was a bout 6 feet high then dig into the middle and put a small pile of hot embers, then bury them. Come back the next day and the pile is for the most part gone. They would just smoulder away over the night with barely any smoke. Even on the wettest days where it was constant rain the pile would smoulder happily away.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!