Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw for turners

Had a Poulan. After a few hours of use, it turned into a door stop. Pass on the Poulan. In general, stay away from any chainsaw sold in big box stores. There's a reason big box chainsaws are low priced. They simply are not manufactured to thes same quality standards as Stihl and similar. So, save your money until you can buy a good chainsaw - Stilh or similar. - John

PS "You can Poulan on it and Poulan on it. But no matter how many times you Poulan on it, it won't start." - Unknown

+1 on Stihl and Husqvarna. I've had both and they are worth the extra cash. I also believe many Stihls are still made in USA.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

All Stihls are made in the USA.

Mike, the simple answer to "what chainsaw to get...for a turner?" is one with a bar at least as long as the swing of your lathe. Sure, you can cut a log twice as wide as the length of your saw bar, but it won't be clean.

I'm partial t Stihl. I've got an MS260 (18" bar), MS 290 (20" bar), MS650 (36" bar), and a HT131 (pole saw with 12" bar). I feel that you get used to a brand and how they perform...and it is best to stick with them. Just my preference.

If you are going to have just one, I'd get the MS290 with a 20" bar...great saw.
    I drink, therefore I am.

As a forester I worked in the woods and supervised loggers for many years. Stills are good but 95% of the logger used Husky's--me too. They seem to cut faster than any other brand of the same size and were very durable. A good flathead would go through a saw in 6-9 months sawing 6 days a week.
    Last edited by robert baccus; 11-30-2013 at 10:44 PM.

In 1989, I bought a Stihl chainsaw and weed/brush eater. Around 2007, one of my sons borrowed the chainsaw and failed to keep the filter clean. The piston got scorched. At that point, it was over 18 years old and ran fine prior to the misuse. Replaced it with the 290 (comparable to the old one.) I still have the Stihl weed eater that is now 24 years old and starts quickly each spring. I am sure the Husky's are great machines, as well, and either would be an excellent choice, but I agree on buying quality for this type of tool.

I've got nothing bad to say about Huskys. Good saws. I'm just not familiar with them. Our little group of turners all pretty much have Stihls. The nice thing is that any of us can pick up the others' saw and start her right up. One of our guys picked up a Husky one day. We were having a "cut up", and his saw was having issues. He asked me to take a look at it. Unfortunately, I don't know Huskys. There were chokes and buttons and bubble pushy things (don't remember exactly to be honest) that needed to be worked in a certain order...otherwise, you'd flood the saw. I couldn't really help him. Bottom line, if you know how to use Huskys, I don't know why you wouldn't be happy with one. I've heard plenty of people say they are as good or better than Stihls. I just like to stick with what I know...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Absolutely buy a good saw like the two brands mentioned here. Also buy a few quality chains and dont be afraid to change them at the first sign of poor cutting. Chainsawing is dangerous and strenuous. You need a tool that you can rely on.

I have an Echo 45CC and love, love, love this saw. It is a pro level unit that is made in Japan which is a plus in my book. It replaced a Poulan and cuts better, faster and is easier to use. Look at the emissions durability rating sticker. 50hrs is consumer grade. 300 hrs is commercial grade engine.
    Beyond the hardware, I want to touch on the fuel/oil issues. Ethanol eats fuel lines and small engine carbs. It also is a strong solvent that breaks down the oil film. Both are horrible for small engines and are the reason most people buy 2 yr throw away tools.
    To combat this I have found a source of ethanol free gas which is about $1 a gallon more than normal but I only use a few gallons a year so it is worth it. I also use a premium full synthetic oil and not only does my equipment work better, I have not had any annoying fuel problems either. There is a lot to read about these issues on the NET and I started paying attention after my small engine equipment all died in succession. I switched to Amsoil Saber and although it is rated for 100 to 1, I run it at 50 to 1 with great results. My PSA for helping you protect your investment.

Good info. Tom--Echo has sure come up in the world in the past few years. I lost 1 carburetor to ethanol two years ago but have had no problems lately. Engines can be made to tolerate the stuff, look at Toyota and Honda. Maybe the manufacturing people have caught on. Years ago Mercury outboards went to 100 to one and blew everyone's mind. Ten years ago they admitted using sperm whale oil additive but ran out of whales(laws).

I've got a couple of Stihls, 1 big gas and two electric.
    Honestly, the electric ones are so good, convenient, instant on/off, no stink etc, that I almost never use the gas version. (only if I cant stretch an extension cord)
    And when its cold outside, I can use the electric inside the shop.

Blog Entries
    I'd save up for a Stihl.... something beefier from dealer direct. I have a Stihl with two extra bars and about 5 chains. That way I don't have to take time to sharpen when I'm cutting, just change them out, sharpen at a later time when more convenient.
    Have a Nice Day!

I love people without insecurities.

Sorry--Mercury went to 50 to one back in the fifties.

Well I received a belated (New Year's Eve) Christmas present form the wife - a Husqvarna 450E 20". My wife heard me talking about it and found a good deal on one right after Christmas.

Now to decide canvas case or plastic. I'm leaning toward the plastic powerbox.

Mike