Thread: Another Bandsaw question

Another Bandsaw question

So I just picked up a used 14" Jet and it does not have a lower blade guide and I cannot see where one would even mount so I am wondering if maybe this particular saw does not have one? Also the tensioner drifts when I put it under even slight pressure. The bolt does not seem bent- to me it seems like having an indentation for it would be nice. The upper guide is cracked bad so I am off to ebay I guess, unless others have another source I am not sure if this particular part is universal. Thanks a bunch everybody.
    IMG_20131126_162834847 copy.jpg IMG_20131126_162434521 copy.jpg
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jet-14-bands...item58a7afa779

Looking at your pic it does not look delta-ish. What about those two bolt holes in between the trunnion, are they for the lower guides? Have you checked the manual (I'm sure it is available online if you don't have it) to see if there is supposed to be one?

When you say drift, do you mean the tension bolt wonders around a bit when turned as you increase tension? I think my 14" delta has kind if worn a dimple into the cast iron and stays put. You could probably make a dimple for it to settle into.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...57155469,d.cWc

Check page 9 for what their lower guide assembly looks like.
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 11-26-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Those two holes between the trunnions are for your lower guide. I have a Grizzly 14" which is basically the same saw and that is where mine mounts. Jet still carries parts for a lot of their equipment. You can probably get replacement parts from them.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I called the guy I purchased the saw from and he found the missing lower guide and so I went and picked it up. It seems to help a bit but I do feel like I need to install a new blade to really check out how much drift this saw will cut with. I drilled a pilot hole for the tensioner and it now works as it should.

Quick rant- ereplacement needs to have higher res images of there parts schematics.

the tension needs to be cranked up
    that should help the drifting...
    Carpe Lignum

With no lower guide, the PO might have had a Carter guide on it, then removed it for re-sale.
    At least he found it for you.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night