Thread: Replicating an old surface.

Replicating an old surface.

All,

I thought you might appreciate a look at a project I finished this weekend. Nothing huge, but a lot of fun.

A friend asked me to replicate the missing side trim on this 1870s blanket chest. The chest itself has a lot of character, so I knew the finishing would be tough.

Anyway, I had a plane that exactly matched the astragal. So I made the moldings, then "Conaned" them to fit the rest of the surface.

A judicious application of the proper dry powdered pigments (red oxide, black oxide, brown oxide and brown ochre) and some stand oil, and I have a pretty convincing match. The slight misalignment in the trim shown here is because I haven't nailed it up yet, and the trim doesn't fit flush at the bottom of the chest, there is a slight gap at the bottom all the way around.

The resulting sheen of the tinted shellac will diminish quickly and the surface of each of the side pieces will match the front very closely.

Anyway, I thought you all might like to see how I practice aging surfaces so that I can get the right look on my new pieces (I hate new looking period furniture).

If you want a more in-depth look, check out my website.

Zach
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 11-25-2013 at 10:11 AM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Very interesting Zach, thanks for taking the time to post this.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Very interesting Zach, thanks for taking the time to post this.
    No problem Hilton. I hope somebody finds it helpful.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I have spent as much time aging surfaces on replacement antique parts I make as I spent making them,sometimes! Gotten much more adept at it over the years.

What a glorious chest, and great job on the resto!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I have spent as much time aging surfaces on replacement antique parts I make as I spent making them,sometimes! Gotten much more adept at it over the years.
    You ain't kidding. The woodworking on this took all of 30 minutes to make both pieces of trim (one on each end) and to distress them to match the condition of the piece. The finishing / painting took at least 3 hours to get it spot on, working a couple of test pieces for trying different finishing schedules before using the real deal (pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post
    What a glorious chest, and great job on the resto!
    Thanks Jim. I wish it were mine, but alas it has to go back to its owner early in December. I might just measure it up and make a copy for myself while I have it here.

Blog Entries
    Looks great Zach.

But can it really match the rest of the trim without being kicked or being hit by a mop and broom a few thousand times?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looks great Zach.

But can it really match the rest of the trim without being kicked or being hit by a mop and broom a few thousand times?

jtk
    Nope, all I can do is simulate the obvious wear (the dings, scratches, coloration, rounded corners). It will never be perfect.

Nice job delivering what customer wanted. Want to add that any artificial aging detected by a later buyer can make the whole piece suspect and some collectors actually specify that work they order be left "in the white". My own preference is to color in some but make repair obvious to close scrutiny. And ageing is expensive, it always surprises me to see modern Windsor chair makers ask hundreds of dollars more for a new chair that you buy "distressed".

Good stuff as always Zach. Thanks for posting. I'm always astounded by all the cool stuff you've taught yourself to do so effectively.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Nice job delivering what customer wanted. Want to add that any artificial aging detected by a later buyer can make the whole piece suspect and some collectors actually specify that work they order be left "in the white". My own preference is to color in some but make repair obvious to close scrutiny. And ageing is expensive, it always surprises me to see modern Windsor chair makers ask hundreds of dollars more for a new chair that you buy "distressed".
    Absolutely Mel, you are right. If this were a valuable piece, I would have had a hard time complying with this request. I've seen pieces in museums and private collections that have had repairs done as you describe, with the new work left obvious so that there is no opportunity for deception. Again, this is on $500,000 high chests, not $200 blanket chests.

Aging takes significantly longer than the woodwork, so it should cost more!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Good stuff as always Zach. Thanks for posting. I'm always astounded by all the cool stuff you've taught yourself to do so effectively.
    Thanks Chris, I just try to do stuff and sometimes I get lucky. The lucky times build on each other and I learn from the no-so-lucky times.

That is why I can do cool stuff: no fear.

Wow. Great job. I added your site to my favorites...since this is the type of stuff my wife wants done.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.