Thread: sawstop cartrides--old or new?

sawstop cartrides--old or new?

I went to buy a dado cartridge and it seems there are old and new ones. Mine is only 8 months old but appears to be the old one. I can't find anything on their website, or anywhere else. Anyone know what's going on?

New ones are MUCH older than that. Your saw sit for a long time? ICS or Professional saw?

My 2006 ICS has the old style and they are a DB9 style connector. In 2010 the sawstop ICS saw I checked out had a new cart.

They make constant updates to the sensing firmware. I have had zero issues and not a single false firing on my 2006 ICS. I am Not upgrading saws for a new cart lol.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Its the professial. The manual was printed in 2010; it doesn't mention old or new, but the illustration seems to be the old one. Confusing.

Wade,
    I have a 2010 ICS. My dado cartridge is the new (clear/blue) plastic. I think the old cartridges are clear rather than blue tinted. I bet SS customer service can advise you if you give them the saw's serial number. They are very helpful.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas L. Miller View Post
    Wade,
    I have a 2010 ICS. My dado cartridge is the new (clear/blue) plastic. I think the old cartridges are clear rather than blue tinted. I bet SS customer service can advise you if you give them the saw's serial number. They are very helpful.
    Tom
    I bought my ICS in 2008 and it has the new cartridge. When I bought mine the Professional model wasn't out yet, so I don't think any of those would have the old cartridges.

I dont think the mid saw (now called professional cabinet saw) ever had the old all clear carts. Post a pick of the one your saw uses. Clear/Blue is new style.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I am a victim of horrible photographs and a bit of senility.
    The company I was going to order from has this photograph of the old cartridge.
    http://www.woodwerks.com/sawstop-bra...0l-p-5089.html
    The one in the manual looks pretty much like that, as does the one in my saw when illuminated from above.

When I actually put a light in the saw, it shows a bit of blue. That coupled with everyones comments pretty well means I have a new one.
    Thanks.

How about a phone call to Sawstop? They are very willing to talk to you and you'll get a quick and accurate answer.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I went to buy a dado cartridge and it seems there are old and new ones. Mine is only 8 months old but appears to be the old one. I can't find anything on their website, or anywhere else. Anyone know what's going on?

The old ones have a 15 pin connector to the machine, the newer ones have 9 pins.

Quote Originally Posted by James Luna View Post
    The old ones have a 15 pin connector to the machine, the newer ones have 9 pins.
    Just an FYI. You replied on an 8 year old thread.

But since you have pulled it forward, it does raise a question in my mind concerning obsolesence due to technology changes. Did Sawstop make any accomodations to adapt the new cartridges for the older machines, or vice versa?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Just an FYI. You replied on an 8 year old thread.

But since you have pulled it forward, it does raise a question in my mind concerning obsolesence due to technology changes. Did Sawstop make any accomodations to adapt the new cartridges for the older machines, or vice versa?
    I wondered the same as I just bought a used ICS that was manufactured in 2008. 2008 was shortly after they switched from the old clear cartridge to newer blue cartridge (which if I recall was 2006). I called and spoke with a tech who said they have no plans to stop manufacturing the older clear cartridge. In addition to the older cartridge you can still buy the parts for a 20+ year old CB series saw from them (the predecessor to the ICS). It appears you could buy the electronics to update an older CB saw to the current PCS/ICS cartridge system, but the rep I spoke to said there really isn't a reason to as the changes over the past 20 years were more to prevent false activation and not any changes that would really affect the safety during an actual skin contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Perera View Post
    I wondered the same as I just bought a used ICS that was manufactured in 2008. 2008 was shortly after they switched from the old clear cartridge to newer blue cartridge (which if I recall was 2006). I called and spoke with a tech who said they have no plans to stop manufacturing the older clear cartridge. In addition to the older cartridge you can still buy the parts for a 20+ year old CB series saw from them (the predecessor to the ICS). It appears you could buy the electronics to update an older CB saw to the current PCS/ICS cartridge system, but the rep I spoke to said there really isn't a reason to as the changes over the past 20 years were more to prevent false activation and not any changes that would really affect the safety during an actual skin contact.
    At some point that strategy will change due to pressure to mimimize costs. They will do a final production run to build a backlog and that will be it. Hopefully they might provide some sort of notice when they do that. If I were buying an older Sawstop I would be stocking up on cartridges. ... they might become a great investment...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher