Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ft Greely needs bowl blanks

Question Ft Greely needs bowl blanks

I'm running the woodshop on ft. greely Alaska and I can't find any affordable bowl blanks Ken Salisbury refered me maybe someone can
    give me a little help

I sent you a PM Robert
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kline
    I'm running the woodshop on ft. greely Alaska and I can't find any affordable bowl blanks Ken Salisbury refered me maybe someone can
    give me a little help
    Robert,

Welcome to Sawmill Creek. It was good talking with you yesterday.

Some background and clarification -- Robert runs the woodshop at Ft Greely, Alaska which is one of the most remote sites the Army has. It is the location of the North American anti- ballistic missle system. I happen to have some connection with Ft Greely since my GS, Clay is a military policeman stationed there. A woodworking shop has been established for the troops stationed at Ft Greely.

Bowl turning is one of the things Robert is teaching the troops and he called me (at the urging of my GS) concerning where he can obtain bowl blanks at a reasonable cost. He like everyone else is operating on a budget .

I urged him to join SMC in the hope some of us can help him. I briefly explained the alcohol drying technique to him since there are LOTS of trees in Alaska. He told me he had tried the dish detergent method and was not all that thrilled with it and will be boning up on the alcohol method to try it.

Again -- Welcome Robert and all the troops stationed at Ft Greely.

Maybe we should adopt Ft Greely
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 06-07-2005 at 7:14 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Post an address and there will be some black walnut on it's way. Free of charge. send me an e-mail LEVUK@optonline.net
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Yeah...Robert.... After our conversation last night, I think I'd like to send you a large box of assorted blanks. Unfortunately, my budget won't allow me to handle the shipping, so if you could pick that up, I'd like to donate to the troops.
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Yeah...Robert.... After our conversation last night, I think I'd like to send you a large box of assorted blanks. Unfortunately, my budget won't allow me to handle the shipping, so if you could pick that up, I'd like to donate to the troops.
    Thanks John. In another post Robert stated they could pay for shipping.:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...017#post187017
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Here's what I'm sending. There's some hard maple, ambrosia maple , a small maple burl, a bit of cocobolo for a pen, some black walnut from a tree that used to overlook West Point.
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have several bowl blanks that are Wild Cherry. This is a outstanding wood to work with and I would be more than happy to share with you folks at Fort Greely. I will send you a PM.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I sent out a box of blanks today to the following address:
    Attn:
    Director of MWR/Department of Morale, Welfare, and Recreation
    Building 702
    Fort Greely, Alaska 99731

I got it from the link Ken posted to the Ft. Greely website. I figure it'll get into the right hands.
    I love to share wood that I find and this is a good opportunity to do something for others. These folks give up alot more than I ever have by volunteering.

Yer a good man Mr. Shuk. Having been stationed way up there m'self, I can tell you that those guys look everyday for signs that the folks down here in the lower 48 think about them from time to time.
    ~john

Your not so bad yourself John...Must be the name!

heh heh...that must be it! You know..I got to thinking...I can't afford the shipping, but I can sure get a lot of Blanks together (like 100-200). If the folks of SMC were willing to pool their resources to cover the shipping, my partner and I would be willing to cut and seal and ship. (he's ex-Marine and I'm ex-Navy) We would feel pretty good about it and it would give more folks a chance to contribute. Whaddaya think?
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    heh heh...that must be it! You know..I got to thinking...I can't afford the shipping, but I can sure get a lot of Blanks together (like 100-200). If the folks of SMC were willing to pool their resources to cover the shipping, my partner and I would be willing to cut and seal and ship. (he's ex-Marine and I'm ex-Navy) We would feel pretty good about it and it would give more folks a chance to contribute. Whaddaya think?

Would it be possible for you to set up a PayPal account? This may be the easiest way to get the funds into your hands for all of us willing to donate a few bucks. If you can get an account set up I will be first in line to donate.

Thanks for the trust Loy....But really, I think we should nominate a money keeper. Someone like, say, Ken Salisbury. If I have to keep track of money, we would just have a bunch of angry people out there. Of course...the candidate would have to accept the nomination....
    ~john

Correct Shipping Address

The correct shipping address is:

Robert Kline
    MWR ATTN: Wood Shop
    P.O. Box 31309
    Ft Greely AK 99731