Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The babys first bowl

The babys first bowl

Here it is with my Twins Lauren Grace and James Riley sitting back and enjoying the outside air after a small rain shower

This bowl was my first finished bowl of this size it measures 16 1/4" X 5 1/4" and 3/4" walls, yes it is a heavy bowl. I had a time with the finish on this one I will not go into details but it was finished 2 times and this final finish is just buffed on the Beall! Big bowls are a challenge all the way around! Its not too bad roughing them out but the return and esecially the sanding can take some time. But overall Im pleased with the outcome of this Bowl.
    I let this bowl dry for over 8 weeks after it had a nice alky bath for 6 days. Im real pleased with Dave Smiths methods on this large bowl! I havent seen anyone that has used this method for such a large bowl but it worked out great for me
    I do Have another ambrosia Maple roughed out and waiting to be finished its a little bigger than this bowl but I dont plan on doing it anytime soon. <STYLE type=text/css><!--td.attachrow { font: normal 11px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; }td.attachheader { font: normal 11px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; background-color: #D1D7DC; }table.attachtable { font: normal 12px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; border-collapse : collapse; }--></STYLE>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Jim, now that is a bowl full. What a great picture. The bowl is nice too. You are really taking advantage of that new lathe. I can imgine that a first turning of that size is daunting. Nice wood and good finish.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Very nice Jim. It's great that the kids are helping you buff. Get 'em started early...that's what I always say! Beautiful bowl-o-kids!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Jim,
    Nice job. The bowl is pretty nice too. I just rough turned a 15 inch bowl out of elm for my brother. I can't wait to get back and finish it. I guess I have my work cut out for me there. Good luck with the babies.
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Good looking bowl Jim and some great looking kids. That will be a great picture to show them later.

Ernie

That's an awesome picture.
    Jim

Jimbo, you do fine work and the bowl ain't half bad either! The twins are as cute as they can be and that picture will serve you well in days to come when they are feeling a little uppity.

The bowl is really a pretty piece. Nice form, great finish and super piece to add to the Ketron heirloom collection. Glad to see you signed it.

I bet that bowl left a huge mountain of chips on the floor when you were roughing it out....
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Awesome bowl!

Will your lathe handle one for their first birthday?

Jack

Jim: Beautiful kids and great job on the bowl! That picture will be fun to show around in years to come. Good luck!

Ed

Hey Jim, great looking children and nice job on the large bowl,as usual.

What is the H.P. on the motor on your new lathe? Mine is under powered and am thinking of moving up in the H.P. department. When I was roughing a large Burl cap ,which is of course off balance, I had no problem stopping things with the chisel.
    Thanks, Fred

Jim, what a great picture and one to be proud of. I guess most of us thought you could only fabricate bowls. I love the grain pattern inside the bowl. Looking forward to another picture in a couple or three years and naturally with the boys sitting in another bowl.
    Regards Bruce in N.B. Canada

I'm nearly speechless...really! That is so cute. Nice bowl, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Super job. The bowl is great too.

My wife is a twin, glad it skips a generation, I don't know what I would have done with two at one time. Maybe had twice as much fun.. I bet you will.

What an awesome picture!!!!
    And the bowls not bad either.

Thank you for sharing, you made my day.
    Dawn

Thanks For the nice comments

Fred My lathe has a 2 HP motor its The PM 3520a
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel