Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rules of Thumb for Workshop Size

Two tablesaws and one slider, Spray room 150 sq ft, one big dog 3 sq ft.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    Are you allowing turn around space for the dog?
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

His 3 feet anywhere he wants
    Thanks John

I would agree that a rule for shop size based solely on machinery is not really going to be particularly accurate. I think that there are way too many mitigating factors. That said, this is what i've got:

Unisaw
    18" planer
    16" jointer
    drill press
    shaper
    router table
    20" bandsaw
    12" RAS
    vertical belt sander
    vertical air compressor
    2hp dust collector (almost forgot this one)

not tools, but necessary items using up shop square footage:
    wood stove
    lumber rack
    sheet goods rack
    8'x8' spray area
    6x10 bench area
    4x8 assembly/outfeed table

in 720 sqf - which is, of course, too small.
    Last edited by Ethan Melad; 11-24-2013 at 5:43 PM.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Sounds like a fun exercise and I have some down time on vacation.....

shop is 20' by 36' but there is an 8' by 12' corner cut out for yard tools and tractor. (Separate roll up door for the shed as I don't want my yard tools commingling with shop tools) The township limited me to 720 square feet without getting a variance so I maxed it out.

Tools
    table saw
    floor drill press
    band saw
    cyclone
    jointer
    lunchbox planer on mobile stand (m)
    router table/miter saw on a long bench against wall
    lathe
    scroll saw on stand

Square foot = 624
    tools = 8 to 10 depending on how you count them.
    So 62 to 78 square feet per tool.

Im a hobby woodworker and I think I have plenty of room after living with it for about 6 years. I would like a little more space but I don't need anymore space. Sometimes I wish I would have went a little wider than then 20 feet but it works.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    Thanks, John, for the clarification. I will revise your ratio to increase the tools by 1 and decrease the square footage by 150 sq. ft.

Z=(3700-150)/20=177.5

I would like to have a ratio as large as this. It's not in the cards for me. Perhaps we should revise the aphorism, "The guy with the most toys wins." to "The guy with the most space per toy wins." You are in the top 10 for sure.

TW

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I have nearly the same tools as you, except:
    Scroll saw instead of RAS
    Router table built into TS
    OTOH, most of my tools are bigger than yours.
    So it should be about a wash sizewise.

My tools are in a 13x28 area. There is plenty of open floorspace to do everything and 2 big open areas for assembly.
    In addition to that, I have:
    9x13 of shelving with sandpaper, stains, handheld tools...
    Lumber fills 13x8.
    And 7x13 that is empty so far. Thinking of a MFT for it.

So, based on my shop, and if I understand your conditions properly, you should have plenty of room as it is.

I tried to post some pictures showing my layout, but they are being rejected for some reason. I even tried to post a picture of a latch that I posted last week, but it won't post either. Is something changed?
    Sorry for being a bit dense. I posted a list of all my tools and then a list of the tools that are in my basement shop. The difference being 14 versus 7. Which list is the same as yours?

I am going to assume you mean the latter (7 stationary tools). So your number of tools is 17? I am going to add the storage space for sandpaper and supplies and lumber to your shop because that is the way my shop is figured. Your revised number is

Z=(13x28+13x8+13x9)/7=83.6 sq. ft/tool

Please correct me if I misunderstood.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 11-24-2013 at 8:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berrevoets View Post
    Sounds like a fun exercise and I have some down time on vacation.....

shop is 20' by 36' but there is an 8' by 12' corner cut out for yard tools and tractor. (Separate roll up door for the shed as I don't want my yard tools commingling with shop tools) The township limited me to 720 square feet without getting a variance so I maxed it out.

Tools
    table saw
    floor drill press
    band saw
    cyclone
    jointer
    lunchbox planer on mobile stand (m)
    router table/miter saw on a long bench against wall
    lathe
    scroll saw on stand

Square foot = 624
    tools = 8 to 10 depending on how you count them.
    So 62 to 78 square feet per tool.

Im a hobby woodworker and I think I have plenty of room after living with it for about 6 years. I would like a little more space but I don't need anymore space. Sometimes I wish I would have went a little wider than then 20 feet but it works.

Mike
    Thanks, Mike. Let's just say 9 tools. What were the city fathers thinking, to put limits on a good workshop?

Z=624/9=69 sq. ft./tool
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 11-24-2013 at 9:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Melad View Post
    I would agree that a rule for shop size based solely on machinery is not really going to be particularly accurate. I think that there are way too many mitigating factors. That said, this is what i've got:

Unisaw
    18" planer
    16" jointer
    drill press
    shaper
    router table
    20" bandsaw
    12" RAS
    vertical belt sander
    vertical air compressor
    2hp dust collector (almost forgot this one)

not tools, but necessary items using up shop square footage:
    wood stove
    lumber rack
    sheet goods rack
    8'x8' spray area
    6x10 bench area
    4x8 assembly/outfeed table

in 720 sqf - which is, of course, too small.
    Despite your skepticism, you come out right on the median.

Z=720/11=65.5 sq. ft./tool

Thanks, Ethan.

TW

i think this is an interesting exercise, but i guess it still doesn't seem to provide as much info as one really needs to accurately design a shop. A others have said, one type of product may be doable in a small shop, whereas another product - in a shop using the same number of machines (or less) - may, by necessity, require more space. by the logic of this study, i could swap out my unisaw for a slider - something that would certainly not work. nor could i get a wide belt sander to replace my vertical belt sander. i understand that this is meant maybe as a guideline and not meant as a rule that always works, or to eliminate the need to design a space, but still..
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Melad View Post
    i think this is an interesting exercise, but i guess it still doesn't seem to provide as much info as one really needs to accurately design a shop. A others have said, one type of product may be doable in a small shop, whereas another product - in a shop using the same number of machines (or less) - may, by necessity, require more space. by the logic of this study, i could swap out my unisaw for a slider - something that would certainly not work. nor could i get a wide belt sander to replace my vertical belt sander. i understand that this is meant maybe as a guideline and not meant as a rule that always works, or to eliminate the need to design a space, but still..
    You understand the utility or lack thereof perfectly. So do I.

The data are aggregating around an average. I am trying to plot a histogram of the statistics. This was easy with Windows Excel. Mac Excel is a different animal. The data are showing an aggregation around 65-70 sq. ft/tool. There are outliers which represent craftsmen whose work is not similar to the entire population but it is a Gaussian-looking distribution which speaks to the normalness of the population. Another of the laws of statistics states that if you combine enough random variables together the result is always Gaussian. You can look it up.

I wil have figured out how to do histograms by tomorrow sometime so you can see what I am talking about. Stay tuned.

I predict that the data will be clustered around the size of a two car garage once it's multiplied by the average number of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Milito View Post
    I predict that the data will be clustered around the size of a two car garage once it's multiplied by the average number of tools.
    If you said median instead of mean, you would be correct. We have some really big shops in the population that throw off the average. Which is to say shops that are 24x20 have about 7 tools. What is really interesting is that shops much bigger and much smaller have the same ratio.I think that observation means that people don't buy a tool they don't have a place for.

What do you think it means?
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 11-24-2013 at 9:53 PM.

The size of my shop was dictated by people not by machinery six people working equals 591 ft.² I have added on to the building three times I read somewhere that the optimum size was 700 to 900 ft.² per person
    Thanks John

Shop size: detached building 36 x30’, but woodshop is approximately 24x30’

Machines:
    14” BS
    Router table (mobile)
    8” jointer
    12” disc sander with 6”x48” belt sander
    10” compound miter saw (mobile stand)
    Uni-saw with 72x42” combination assembly/cut off/extension table plus 52” fence rails
    Drill press
    15” planer
    25 gallon air compressor (horizontal)
    Cyclone

Misc. space eaters:
    Approx. 24x78" workbench (not inc. extended/opened shoulder and tail vises)
    Clamp rack (mobile)
    Parts cart
    Fe$tool shop vacuum with circ. saw systainer on top
    2 large cabinets for reloading supplies
    Reloading work bench for reloading presses
    2 mobile cabinets for wrenches and other non-woodworking tools
    4 large cabinets for tool storage, ”consumables”, hardware, etc.
    Safe

I also lose floor space due to the room my wheelchair needs to turn around, move between machines, etc.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 11-24-2013 at 11:06 PM.