Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules of Thumb for Workshop Size

Quote Originally Posted by george newbury View Post
    So your not going to count the first indoor woodworking tool my trees meet?
    I promise to plot your data point.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    <snip>At times this seems terribly small and cramped. At other times I am thankful I am not having to walk dozens of paces back and forth. I see the relative confines of my work space as an opportunity to be efficient with both the layout of the shop and operational processes of the projects I do.
    Tell me about, I've gone from every tool in it's place and within 3 steps to many "clusters" of tools spread across about a 40 yard area.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I am fully aware of all the things you mention. I still just want to see the data for your shop. It will all average out. Give the idea a chance. Share just the number of power tools in your 1700 sq ft. Trust in the Law of Large Numbers to get to a useful number for the correlation.

TW
    OK, well mine will likely be an outlier and it's a pro shop as well, so you may not really want to include it on your mix, but you asked for it
    So 1700 sq. ft. main shop…..but we have to deduct about 204 sf for the spray room!
    Stationary equipment only….
    Wadkin 12" table saw
    Delta 10" Unisaw
    State 15" Disc sander
    State spindle sander
    Craftsman RAS
    Grizzly 2 hp dust collector
    Timesaver 43" widebelt
    Delta 20" bandsaw
    Worthington 5 hp compressor
    2x Martin T-21 shaper
    SCM T-160 shaper
    Lin Mac 3 hp shaper
    EMA 16" jointer
    SCM 20" Planer
    Bini Slot mortiser
    Omga 14" chop saw
    Torit 7-1/2 hp cyclone
    Powermatic 1150 drill press
    Craftsman drill press
    Delta dj20 8" jointer
    South Bend metal lathe
    Alberti CNC drill

That's all the stationary machinery in the main shop, however, in the neighboring storage space of approx 230 sq. ft. which is soon to be opened up to the main shop, resides….
    HolzHer edgebander
    Wysong vertical drill
    Powermatic 4 head drill press
    Delta 5 hp duct collector

I'm not nearly good enough with math to understand statistics, but if you can make use of this info then by all means….have at it
    FWIW I build a little bit of everything, but mostly custom cabinetry and passage doors.

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    An old friend of mine came up with a name for this: Goldfish Syndrome. Goldfish grow to the size their containers can sustain. To be fair, it was with regards to the amount of stuff one accumulates based on one's size of abode, but I'm sure it's true of woodworking shops as well. I think my friend was right, too--about 6.5 years ago, I moved into a house roughly double the size of the previous. The amount of stuff I own probably also doubled in fairly short order.
    But tell me how big is the workshop and how many tools.

I understand the problem. I will probably try consciously plan to fit my new bowl. I think I can downsize. I have some tools I can sell or give away. The oldest and dearest stationary tool I own is the radial arm saw. But, it has been functionally replaced by the compound miter saw. It takes up a lot of wall space. Right now it is at my lake house while all the rest of the tools are at my main house in town. The new garage/workshops will be built at the lake house. My wife and I plan to sell the house in town and move full-time to the lake. The lake house is smaller. The size of the shop is not yet determined. If something won't fit it will not be making the move. This is true of the furniture as well as the shop.

No jointer?
    I have about the same space as you and a jointer instead of a RAS, and have plenty of room. In fact I have some extra room I haven't found a use for yet.
    My secret is that I don't have a workbench or assembly table. The floor and the tablesaw work just fine instead.
    When you find out what construction costs, losing the table might look more attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    OK, well mine will likely be an outlier and it's a pro shop as well, so you may not really want to include it on your mix, but you asked for it
    So 1700 sq. ft. main shop…..but we have to deduct about 204 sf for the spray room!
    Stationary equipment only….
    Wadkin 12" table saw
    Delta 10" Unisaw
    State 15" Disc sander
    State spindle sander
    Craftsman RAS
    Grizzly 2 hp dust collector
    Timesaver 43" widebelt
    Delta 20" bandsaw
    Worthington 5 hp compressor
    2x Martin T-21 shaper
    SCM T-160 shaper
    Lin Mac 3 hp shaper
    EMA 16" jointer
    SCM 20" Planer
    Bini Slot mortiser
    Omga 14" chop saw
    Torit 7-1/2 hp cyclone
    Powermatic 1150 drill press
    Craftsman drill press
    Delta dj20 8" jointer
    South Bend metal lathe
    Alberti CNC drill

That's all the stationary machinery in the main shop, however, in the neighboring storage space of approx 230 sq. ft. which is soon to be opened up to the main shop, resides….
    HolzHer edgebander
    Wysong vertical drill
    Powermatic 4 head drill press
    Delta 5 hp duct collector

I'm not nearly good enough with math to understand statistics, but if you can make use of this info then by all means….have at it
    FWIW I build a little bit of everything, but mostly custom cabinetry and passage doors.

good luck,
    JeffD
    Looks like a valid data point to me. I count 23 tools (I think you mean that you have 2 Martin shapers) so I get Z=(1700-204)/23=65 tool/sq. ft.

The second room is Z=230/4=57.5 tool/sq. ft

I imagine you have things close together but well-organized since it is a commercial space. Good data. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    No jointer?
    I have about the same space as you and a jointer instead of a RAS, and have plenty of room. In fact I have some extra room I haven't found a use for yet.
    My secret is that I don't have a workbench or assembly table. The floor and the tablesaw work just fine instead.
    When you find out what construction costs, losing the table might look more attractive.
    Aha. I did forget the Powermatic 6" jointer. It is very new. It replaced a 42 year old Craftsman 6" jointer. The new jointer is much bigger.

My assembly table is portable. It is a torsion box, 1/2 plywood over a 2x4 ladder frame. I rest it on plastic fold up saw horses. My out feed table for the table saw is also used for glue ups. It is 2 by 4. I think what is crowding my shop is the storage space. As a percentage of my space, I have a lot of storage for plank and sheet lumber.

I actually know quite a lot about construction costs.

But, still give me some real data for my Rule. What is the square footage and how many stationary power tools are set up in that space?

TW

Just to play along with my statistical experiment, how many stationary power tools are in your 270 sq. ft. How about your cousin's shop.

It is important to explain how your shop works along with giving the ratio. I am listening to that too. We can better explain which end of the range might make sense for person planning a shop based on usage.

TW
    Table is is mobile, but rarely move it. Drill press is mobile, but it too rarely moves. Benchtop bandsaw is mobile. Mortiser and thickness planer use the same mobile setup (mortiser on top, planer on pulls out on bottom). Jointer is mobile. DC is mobile. Router table/assembly table - fixed. Downdraft table sits on assembly table during use.

Biggest problem I run into is breaking down sheet goods. Basically have to do this outside because I don't have a clear space inside I can do this. But I don't really have a problem with this because I don't have to worry about the mess this creates.

My cousins shop is mostly fixed equipment. Not much more tooling than I have. His chop saw setup has very long tables on either side of the saw. He would probably have the same difficulty breaking down sheet goods as I do.

Were I making cabinets or large pieces, I might very well be challenged with my existing space. I could make some cabinets certainly, but I could not do any serious production work. For the one off stuff I make, my space suits my purposes.
    Last edited by Greg Peterson; 11-23-2013 at 4:43 PM.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Table is is mobile, but rarely move it. Drill press is mobile, but it too rarely moves. Benchtop bandsaw is mobile. Mortiser and thickness planer use the same mobile setup (mortiser on top, planer on pulls out on bottom). Jointer is mobile. DC is mobile. Router table/assembly table - fixed. Downdraft table sits on assembly table during use.

Biggest problem I run into is breaking down sheet goods. Basically have to do this outside because I don't have a clear space inside I can do this. But I don't really have a problem with this because I don't have to worry about the mess this creates.

My cousins shop is mostly fixed equipment. Not much more tooling than I have. His chop saw setup has very long tables on either side of the saw. He would probably have the same difficulty breaking down sheet goods as I do.

Were I making cabinets or large pieces, I might very well be challenged with my existing space. I could make some cabinets certainly, but I could not do any serious production work. For the one off stuff I make, my space suits my purposes.
    Ok. We will count it as 7 (table saw, drill press, bandsaw, mortiser/planer, jointer, dust collection, router/assembly table.)

Z=270/7 = 38.5 sq. ft./tool. And your cousin's shop comes in at double that, 77 sq. ft/tool.

Thanks.

Results so far

The data so far. I am pleased. Please help me by posting your shop size and number of tools.

I could not figure out how to paste in a chart from Excel. I will keep looking. I am sure I will find a way.

TW

Name No. of Tools Shop size Z
    Thomas Wilson 7 468 66.85714286
    Phil Harold 7 1200 171.4285714
    Tom Clark 11 1296 117.8181818
    Shawn Pixley 6 480 80
    George Newbury 1 600 600
    Jeff Duncan 23 1496 65.04347826
    Greg Peterson 7 270 38.57142857
    Greg's cousin 7 540 77.14285714

12x22=264 square feet, and not nearly big enough
    table saw
    outfeed table
    workbench
    sliding compound miter saw
    bench top drill press
    bench top band saw
    bench top grinder
    air compressor
    shop vac

I know the outfeed table and workbench aren't per se tools, but they need space also, and need to be taken into consideration, as does a stationary tub sink and shelving for storage of (insert needed storage here).

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Harris View Post
    12x22=264 square feet, and not nearly big enough
    table saw
    outfeed table
    workbench
    sliding compound miter saw
    bench top drill press
    bench top band saw
    bench top grinder
    air compressor
    shop vac

I know the outfeed table and workbench aren't per se tools, but they need space also, and need to be taken into consideration, as does a stationary tub sink and shelving for storage of (insert needed storage here).
    Thanks Zane.

I have not been including benches, storage areas,or tables. I figure it comes out as proportional to the stationary tools. Maybe/maybe not. We will see.

I am going to count this as Z=264/7=37.7.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 11-23-2013 at 6:24 PM.

Looks like a valid data point to me. I count 23 tools (I think you mean that you have 2 Martin shapers) so I get Z=(1700-204)/23=65 tool/sq. ft.

The second room is Z=230/4=57.5 tool/sq. ft

I imagine you have things close together but well-organized since it is a commercial space. Good data. Thanks.
    I am not the best at statistics, but I am pretty good at math, algebra, geometry, trig, even at one time a bit of calculus, but I'd like to see anyone get 65 stationary tools per square foot!

Well guess my handtools are stationary when they're not in use. I am kind of interested to see what you come up with, Thomas. Not sure I see the point, though.

If it is any help, I have about 18 stationary tools, 1 bench, lumber storage rack(on wheels), 1 40" roll about tool box, and a good amount(though never enough) of cabinetry in about 950 sq ft shop.

Edit: Forgot the air compressor, and the DC... make it 20 stationary tools!
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 11-23-2013 at 7:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    I am not the best at statistics, but I am pretty good at math, algebra, geometry, trig, even at one time a bit of calculus, but I'd like to see anyone get 65 stationary tools per square foot!

Well guess my handtools are stationary when they're not in use. I am kind of interested to see what you come up with, Thomas. Not sure I see the point, though.

If it is any help, I have about 18 stationary tools, 1 bench, lumber storage rack(on wheels), 1 40" roll about tool box, and a good amount(though never enough) of cabinetry in about 950 sq ft shop.

Edit: Forgot the air compressor, and the DC... make it 20 stationary tools!
    And you have a pretty sharp eye.

Z=950/20=47.5 sq. ft./tools

If you live in a city, and you are putting this shop on your lot along with your house, just figure out the maximum size building you can build and go with that. Put a garage door on it so you can sell it to someone who wants to use it for something besides woodworking. And insulate the building well, and heat and ac only improve your experience. My shop is 26 x 66, as I live in the county on a 3 acre lot, so not a lot of limitations on size. When I lived in town, got frustrated with all the rules and regs.