Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Rules of Thumb for Workshop Size

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Lets see. My shop is 20x24. 480 sq ft. It is big enough.

I have a combo machine (tablesaw, jointer, planer, shaper, mortiser)
    edge sander
    drill press
    widebelt sander
    lathe/mill combo
    router table
    wood rat
    3 workbenches
    air compressor
    sharpening station
    spindle sander
    disk/belt combo sander
    small sliding miter saw
    benchtop band saw
    floor standing band saw
    welder
    cutting torches
    powder coat oven
    central dust collector
    festool dust collector
    2 metal storage cabinets (hand tools and supplies)
    1 shelf rack
    3 large metal mechanics toolboxes
    2 wooden toolboxes (under benches)
    and a recently added benchtop CNC

when needed I pull out other equipment. I have to pay attention to workflow and material handling/storage.
    Yes, it really helps when you're working in zero gravity.

2. I've decided that 500 sq ft of space virtually dedicated to making stuff is still absolutely awesome. Reading about the many large shops people have and dreaming about 1200, 1800, 3000 sq ft can easily make you lose perspective - whilst more space would be amazing I just realised how blessed I am to have what I have. I'm going to work hard and do my best to set it up as efficiently as I can, make it a nice place to work, and not allow myself to forget how fortunate I am to have the problem of figuring out how to "fit in" a bunch of nice tools!

We considered moving house recently and took a good look at a place on 4 acres with a 2700sq ft two storey workshop but realised we really didn't want to get in a bunch of debt! I'd rather have my 500 sq ft free of debt than a huge workshop that forces me to be a wage slave for another 20 years. Also, I'm still holding out for a property market crash here in Australia! .

Enjoy your shops, whatever size they are! Just having a shop space at all is a huge blessing - don't let dreams of larger ruin your reality!

Cheers, Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Dudkiewicz View Post
    I've decided that 500 sq ft of space virtually dedicated to making stuff is still absolutely awesome. Reading about the many large shops people have and dreaming about 1200, 1800, 3000 sq ft can easily make you lose perspective - whilst more space would be amazing I just realised how blessed I am to have what I have. I'm going to work hard and do my best to set it up as efficiently as I can, make it a nice place to work, and not allow myself to forget how fortunate I am to have the problem of figuring out how to "fit in" a bunch of nice tools!

We considered moving house recently and took a good look at a place on 4 acres with a 2700sq ft two storey workshop but realised we really didn't want to get in a bunch of debt! I'd rather have my 500 sq ft free of debt than a huge workshop that forces me to be a wage slave for another 20 years. Also, I'm still holding out for a property market crash here in Australia! .

Enjoy your shops, whatever size they are! Just having a shop space at all is a huge blessing - don't let dreams of larger ruin your reality!

Cheers, Dom
    That's very inspirational, and I'm with you, my brother. I don't like to think about a world without this kind of spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Dudkiewicz View Post
    I've decided that 500 sq ft of space virtually dedicated to making stuff is still absolutely awesome. Reading about the many large shops people have and dreaming about 1200, 1800, 3000 sq ft can easily make you lose perspective - whilst more space would be amazing I just realised how blessed I am to have what I have. I'm going to work hard and do my best to set it up as efficiently as I can, make it a nice place to work, and not allow myself to forget how fortunate I am to have the problem of figuring out how to "fit in" a bunch of nice tools!

Cheers, Dom
    I agree 100%. For the first time in my life I have a dedicated shop that doesnt need to be shared with Automobiles, lawnmowers, etc. A blessing and I am happy to make it work.

My shop is 30x34. Actually 30x30 with a 4x14 bump out for the big door, so 960 sq ft. All the usual suspects; 52" SS, 8"jointer, planer, 16" DP, Cyclone, Router table, Miter saw, 14" BS. I use one corner of the space for my welding machine and plasma so I guess count those too. I was ADD before it was fashionable so the idea that anything would sit in one place for long is actually kinda humorous. I think about placement but keep mobile bases under most of the equipment. Oh, I also have a 12x16' covered porch that gets used on occasion.

My shop is 30x34. Actually 30x30 with a 4x14 bump out for the big door, so 960 sq ft. All the usual suspects; 52" SS, 8"jointer, planer, 16" DP, Cyclone, Router table, Miter saw, 14" BS. I use one corner of the space for my welding machine and plasma so I guess count those too. I was ADD before it was fashionable so the idea that anything would sit in one place for long is actually kinda humorous. I think about placement but keep mobile bases under most of the equipment. Oh, I also have a 12x16' covered porch that gets used on occasion. It is a great space.

I have two shops a short block apart. My "shop" is 3450 sq ft with a bathroom. It's a goofy old L shaped building that needed a lot of work when I bought it. Still needs more of course. The "new building" is 30 x 60 on the ground floor with a side access walkup basement apartment. I've been very stingy with space in my shop. This results in lots of open, flexible space. I live in a small rural town. I would never be able to afford what I have in a big city.

8. Living the dream in terms of shop space Steven!

In my situation it's very much a choice of - small shop but disposable income to spend on tools and timber as well ad security knowing I don't need to service a mortgage vs bigger place and shop but no money to splash on it and stuck in a long mortgage/loss of freedom! Hard to know which is better - but i'm sticking with small shop atm!

Enjoy the open space!

Cheers, Dom

Dom- I’m not bragging. In a similar mindset as yours. Small town living, getting a lot more for the dollars I have, mortgage free.

My shop is 225 ft². A 15'x15' outbuilding.
    I have;
    Lunchbox planer
    16" bandsaw
    Floor standing drill press
    Folding contractor table saw
    Sliding miter saw on folding stand
    1.5 hp dust collector
    16 gal air compressor
    Festool Mft, tracksaw and Domino
    Kerosene heater, electric heater
    Piles of handheld power tools
    About 22' of 2' deep work bench/ utility grade bench, nothing special.(way too much, currently consolidating)
    ALL tools are mobile. I use 1 at a time, in the middle of the shop if not outside.
    If I have to run full length stock, 8' or whatever, my outfeed goes out the door.
    I want a jointer but I don't think I can get it in there.
    New shop may be in the works. New mortgage in process. I asked the bank for a LOT (lol). We'll find out what they'll loan (based on equity/ appraisal) soon.
    House reno comes first, shop gets what's left...
    Did the op build a shop? This is a zombie thread but he appears to be still active.

Hi Jay,

My new shop is nearing completion. I had a thread about the construction. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-Mountain-King I stopped updating it. The shop lacks finish electrical, plumbing, interior trim, and flooring. Hoping it is finished soon. Thanks for reviving the thread. I will update the statistics if I have time.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Hi Jay,

My new shop is nearing completion. I had a thread about the construction. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-Mountain-King I stopped updating it. The shop lacks finish electrical, plumbing, interior trim, and flooring. Hoping it is finished soon. Thanks for reviving the thread. I will update the statistics if I have time.
    Hmmm, 850sf? I wouldn't think you could have done it in less than 1000sf, provided that everything is on wheels. Of course, that's not taking gravity into account. :^) What are your provisions for building on an extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Hmmm, 850sf? I wouldn't think you could have done it in less than 1000sf, provided that everything is on wheels. Of course, that's not taking gravity into account. :^) What are your provisions for building on an extension?
    Hi Doug,

There’s plenty of room up in the open beam ceiling if I can get the anti-graviton particle generator working. If that fails, I have a full basement. Current plan is for the wood rack, radial arm saw, and dust collector to go downstairs. The rest seems to fit nicely on the main level at least in SketchUp. We will see how it fits when I move the tools in soon. The tools are on wheels so experimentation is expected.

And, the lot is 2.5 acres so there’s room to expand.