Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vehicles That Fit A Sheet Of Plywood???

And the answer is, rent a pickup truck from Home depot when you need to move plywood, and buy the cheapest, best mpg, car you can get that can haul your people.

The gas savings, and car payment savings will likely pay for more truck rentals that you would think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    And the answer is, rent a pickup truck from Home depot when you need to move plywood, and buy the cheapest, best mpg, car you can get that can haul your people.

The gas savings, and car payment savings will likely pay for more truck rentals that you would think.
    You are absolutely correct in your economic analysis. But for many of us, a vehicle to haul sheet goods is another, albeit expensive, tool in our arsenal of shop/lifestyle equipment. Just as I wouldn't think of cutting plywood on my TS without dust collection on top, neither would I have a sheet good hauler that will not allow me to haul lumber and sheet goods in the rain and snow. The kind of weather you would rather be in the shop. Plus I am choosing a vehicle that can pull my 4 place snowmobile trailer down a snow covered two track to my buddy's cabin or haul my boat up north. And take 3 couples out on a color tour or to dinner. Try doing that in a Prius. Many of us with a large vehicle also have a 30 mpg grocery getter in the drive (or my case garage) that gets used for most of the day to day chores and commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post

No...rent a pickup is not the answer. Let me say again, I don't want to have to rent a vehicle every time I need to pick something up of any large size or haul away anything of large size. This vehicle is not just for moving sheet goods, but anything of larger size, however I want it to able to move sheet goods when needed. For the last 4 years, I've been renting on demand and it's a pain, so I want the capability of hauling when I need to, without making special trips to and from the rental facility.
    Space is also an issue, so I can't have a trailer, even a folding one, I can't have a junker pickup on the side, nor can I have a full sized pickup as a daily driver, because I want it to able to fit in my cramped garage. Naturally, MPG is a consideration as well, so that leaves the midsized SUVs to pick from.
    So far, the Pilot, Durango and Xterra have been reported to be able to haul sheets, albeit with the hatch tied down, which is fine. Any others?

Blog Entries
    Don't forget that you also had the GMC Acadia on your list, but around town I only get 16 mpg, so that may affect whether it stays on your list. Highway I get up to 22 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Don't forget that you also had the GMC Acadia on your list, but around town I only get 16 mpg, so that may affect whether it stays on your list. Highway I get up to 22 mpg.
    That's right! It's on my list of cars to research.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    No...rent a pickup is not the answer. Let me say again, I don't want to have to rent a vehicle every time I need to pick something up of any large size or haul away anything of large size. This vehicle is not just for moving sheet goods, but anything of larger size, however I want it to able to move sheet goods when needed. For the last 4 years, I've been renting on demand and it's a pain, so I want the capability of hauling when I need to, without making special trips to and from the rental facility.
    Space is also an issue, so I can't have a trailer, even a folding one, I can't have a junker pickup on the side, nor can I have a full sized pickup as a daily driver, because I want it to able to fit in my cramped garage. Naturally, MPG is a consideration as well, so that leaves the midsized SUVs to pick from.
    So far, the Pilot, Durango and Xterra have been reported to be able to haul sheets, albeit with the hatch tied down, which is fine. Any others?
    The obvious answer to this thread's title and most of your requirements listed above is, minivan.
    Limiting your options to SUVs is, well, limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kellough View Post
    The obvious answer to this thread's title and most of your requirements listed above is, minivan.
    Limiting your options to SUVs is, well, limiting.
    I'd def go with a minivan, but the wife says "No!" to minivans. And yeah, it is limiting, that's why I'm asking, in case there's more choices than what I already thought of.

That's interesting Derek. My wife is just the opposite, she says she will never have anything BUT a minivan. Just got back last night from a 1,000 mile tour of the central coast. 5 adults, 4 suitcases and several boxes of stuff. 20.5 MPG for the trip, and everyone gets a good seat. Seems like everyone in the family has borrowed it at one time or another. The handiest car we have ever owned (our second one).

The thing I like best about it is the sliding doors. When you park in the garage, kids can bail out without worrying about them opening the back doors up and hitting the wall, or other car.

Rick Potter

I have a 2012 Grand Caravan and you can fit maybe two sheets of plywood at most. A single sheet of plywood fits with no room to spare. The seat bases on the front seats are angled such that more than one or two sheets of plywood won't fit as they are too long and the door won't close. I recently bought a 1.5" thick sheet of foam insulation and had to cram it in at an angle since it won't fit flat on the floor.

I think Chrysler may have moved the front seats back a bit for 2012 as I noticed the leg room was really tight in the 2011 model and the sales person mentioned more legroom for 2012. I really wish the interior space was an inch longer to accommodate sheet good better.

i have always had a pick up but my current one... a toyota tacoma 4x 4 has a cap. very civilized , great on gas, and obviously will haul plywood no problem. you can get 2 or 4 door. just a thought.

I have a 2011 Ford Expedition EL and 2008 F-350 both no problem. Since 1973 until recently we always owned vehicles which could fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Among them 1970 Ford F100, 1993 Grand Caravan, 2000 Honda Odyssey, 2009 Ford Expedition. Some were basic spare vehicles and others were daily drivers.

Have you considered a 5x8 stretched wire trailer? It might be a simple solution with a hitch if you are not going highway speeds or a long distance. They can be purchased used for $500 or so used and less than $1000 new. It is cheaper than $15- 20,000 vehicle or more. When it is not in use it can be stood on it's end out of sight with minor wood fixtures to put it on to prevent damage to the trailer.

Cute! How much weight did the springs finally give out?