Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vehicles That Fit A Sheet Of Plywood???

When the mrs and I got our last vehicle, I wanted to get a minivan to haul sheets. The mrs. didn't, and consequently, we spent more than $10,000 less than we would have on a minivan going downmarket to a scion XB.

I have gotten wood and sheet goods (that wouldn't fit in the scion), up to 200 miles away, about a half dozen times and probably spent a rental total of about $600 in five years. I've rented vans from enterprise and uhaul, depending on how far I've gone, and I'm not sorry I did. The difference in gas and insurance (due to the lower value of the vehicle) has more than paid those rental fees, and at this point, my wife now thinks we should have a bigger vehicle and I'm convinced we should stay with what we have.

I have a Honda Element for criteria very similar to yours (fits in sml garage, 4 passengers, not a mini-van, somewhat economical, no room for a trailer). While I did make a system to haul sheet stock on the side of the Element like a glass installer, I rarely use it anymore and just use the roof rack instead (probably weekly for something or another). I transported a queen sz mattress home up there last weekend, a bunch of 20' rebar a couple weeks ago, 14)2x6x16's last month : you're not going to fit any of that inside of anything short of a full sz van or box truck.

Any decent roof rack properly mounted on about any car can easily handle 6+ sheets of 3/4" stock. I've had up to 20 sheets of 1/2" osb on my Yakima rack without ill effect. (though such racks are "rated" for much less than what they'll hold)

David's comment about renting when necessary definitely has merit. How often are you going to buy 4x8 sheets? Does that frequency really merit buying a specific vehicle?

-kg
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mitchell View Post
    My 2012 Xterra will fit width wise, same as yours. If you're worried about gas mileage, the Pilot is probably a better bet. As you already know, the Xterra is a gas hog, but I believe the Pilot is available with the option for your cylinders to shut off to save gas. A coworker said he can get up to 30 in his new Pilot, I'm lucky to max out over 20.
    My pilot has the ECO cylinder management option and we've seen 25 mpg (actual). The computer is a bit optimistic when it calculates and displays the MPG. We check ours by recording the actual miles and gallons to fill up. Maybe if you drove somewhere at 45-50 mph on flat ground or down hill for 100 miles you would get 30 MPG, but most folks won't. The pilot is a great vehicle very stable and comfortable.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Chevy 3/4 ton pickup fits 5 adults, can carry lots of sheets of plywood, AND has the capability to carry "some" wood, or "some" mulch (that is 3,600 lbs of mulch BTW).

Attachment 275356Attachment 275355
    Looks a little shaky. Plus, check the air in the left rear tar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    . . . . A small utility trailer was what I chose for this purpose and that also insures that the interior of my vehicle doesn't get damaged by materials.
    +1
    Mercury Sable, Hitch purchased and installed for $210. 5X9 trailer off CraigsList for $300. 2000# payload. Hauled dirt, mulch, lumber, sheet goods, brick , sod, old shingles... and new shingles, sofa and loveseat and recliner, queen size bed set, Sable interior is still clean. Gas mileage is 24-26mpg. Trailer and hitch paid for itself over a bigger truck with poorer MPG.
    If space is an issue, HF and others have foldable trailers in the 900# category, I think.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

+1 on the Outback. I don't know which year it started, but the 2013 has integrated roof rails and isn't too high, plus it's easy to open a door and climb up to get stuff on top.

You can safely get two or three on top depending on weight/thickness.

Blog Entries
    As a woodworker who lives in snow country, open trailers or roof top carriers don't cut it. I need to be able to haul sheet goods in inclement weather and keep it dry. To do so I load the ply on 6'x12' painters drop cloth, and flip the excess up and over the last foot of ply hanging out before I drop the hatch. Plus my HOA doesn't allow outside storage of a trailer. If it did, I would probably have a 5'x10' one for all sorts of hauling, including my mower and including lumber in good weather.

On the test drive, you're just gonna have to tell the salesman you need to stop at Lowe's or Home Depot for a minute and do a test fit.......
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    My pilot has the ECO cylinder management option and we've seen 25 mpg (actual). The computer is a bit optimistic when it calculates and displays the MPG. We check ours by recording the actual miles and gallons to fill up. Maybe if you drove somewhere at 45-50 mph on flat ground or down hill for 100 miles you would get 30 MPG, but most folks won't. The pilot is a great vehicle very stable and comfortable.
    Beats the heck out of my 16mpg

Let me repeat...can't do a truck or trailer, hauling sheetgoods on rooftop is not optimal, nor is renting a vehicle on demand. Also, large SUVs are out because of space issues. So far, the Pilot, Acadia and 4Runner sound like good options.

all full size pick up trucks (8' bed) will accept 4'x 8' stock
    Dodge Grand Caravan with all seats removed and seats pulled way forward, (don's try it if you are over about 5'10"!) I've used mine to haul plywood and sheetrock.
    WANTED: $1,000,000 REWARD!!

for:

A functional board stretcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Patoka View Post
    On the test drive, you're just gonna have to tell the salesman you need to stop at Lowe's or Home Depot for a minute and do a test fit.......
    I did that. No salesman with me though.

'06 Dodge Durango. I haul 4x8 sheets of acrylic and they fit perfectly. Great ride also.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

Quote Originally Posted by greg lindsey View Post
    '06 Dodge Durango. I haul 4x8 sheets of acrylic and they fit perfectly. Great ride also.
    Thanks...didn't know that. I'll keep the Durango in mind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Thanks...didn't know that. I'll keep the Durango in mind as well.
    The current Durango isn't anything like those older ones...it's essentially the same vehicle as the Grand Cherokee Summit I drive...same assembly line and many of the same parts. (although it does offer a cramped third row seating option not available in the Jeep) It's not a good choice for hauling sheet goods for both width and length. (as previously mentioned, I use a small utility trailer for that, although I typically order plywood from the nice folks at Industry Plywood and have them deliver it )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...