Thread: some good, some bad, some unknown

some good, some bad, some unknown

Yesterday was a rather full day, but I'm not sure yet what was good or bad. I finished the shave horse, went rust hunting, and tried my hand at hammer veneering.

1. finished the shave horse - good
    2. picked up a new cordless drill (stanley egg beater) and rip saw for $10 each - probably good, saw looks to be in good shape, drill works great
    3. found a Stanley 45 with cutters in the original box, even got an original user manual. It has some rust, but using rust free to get everything cleaned up - $250, but don't know if it was a good find or not
    4. hammer veneering was a bust - used liquid hide glue. after 18 hours, still not dry. so i have some granuals cooking

I would post pics, but photobucket has html links, and those are not accepted here. Tried to upload to the attachment manager, but they wouldn't.

edit: uploaded the photobucket IMG codes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe Skinner; 11-17-2013 at 5:00 PM.
    The trick to being good with a plane is being bad with a saw.

Blog Entries
    Actually, a lot of people post photo bucket links.

The problem is if they are later deleted from photo bucket the links do not work.

You may have better success with posting here if you save your files to jpeg before trying to post. The site software isn't able to convert overly large files.

I have not kept up on prices for the Stanley 45 now that they are no longer on my "really want another one" list. Finding a good one complete is a joy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Photobucket also has the [IMG] code. you can copy that one and paste it into your message.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Photobucket also has the [IMG] code. you can copy that one and paste it into your message.
    Thank you, worked great.

It's less of an issue with a thread of this nature, but I'd rather folks uploaded the photos directly to SMC - photobucket links die eventually, and I've stumbled across a useful thread here now and again with no photos anymore because of that. If they're uploaded here, the photos are live for as long as the thread is. Also, for whatever reason, photobucket is on the blocked site list at work, so when I'm surfing the forum on my lunchbreak, I don't see any photos.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    It's less of an issue with a thread of this nature, but I'd rather folks uploaded the photos directly to SMC - photobucket links die eventually, and I've stumbled across a useful thread here now and again with no photos anymore because of that. If they're uploaded here, the photos are live for as long as the thread is. Also, for whatever reason, photobucket is on the blocked site list at work, so when I'm surfing the forum on my lunchbreak, I don't see any photos.
    Yes, there have been a few good instructional threads without images because of dead links.

I would like to see more images of the Stanley 45. It does look like the one knicker is in the "deployed" position.

Can't tell if the body has the SW logo to match the box.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, there have been a few good instructional threads without images because of dead links.

I would like to see more images of the Stanley 45. It does look like the one knicker is in the "deployed" position.

Can't tell if the body has the SW logo to match the box.

jtk
    I don't know what an "SW" logo means, but I will take a few more shots. Might not be tonight, as some beer accidentally fell into my mouth and my shop time is done for the day.

On a good note, I tried again with the hammer veneer with granuals, and it worked out much better. The edges cureled quite a bit, but a block held them down. I will know tomorrow if it was a sucess. This is starting to be two topics in one.

Blog Entries
    If you look at the Stanley logo on the blade box you will notice a heart with SW inside.

The heart is to commemorate a retired Mr. Hart who was head of Stanley Works before it and Stanley Rule & Level Co. merged. The logo was used from about 1920 to 1936, iirc.

Some collectors pay more for Stanley tools with what is called the "Sweet Heart" logo.

jtk