Thread: Low build spray finishes for hand tools

Low build spray finishes for hand tools

Has anyone tried the low build epoxy finishes (now being used on guns to protect against corrosion) on hand tools (planes, draw knives and chisels) to control rust?

2. link? .

No. Paste wax for anything not used every day, and a very light coat of shellac on non wear surfaces that could get rust. Shellac can be removed easily any time.

I Would never put epoxy on any tool of any value.

I agree with David. Don't use epoxy. I use camellia oil on my tools that get used regularly and I coated them all with renaissance wax before I deployed last year. I came back without any rust. I don't think you would ever get the epoxy off and it could end up rough and hard to use.

Here is one example.
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1150.aspx

Works on guns including metal on metal actions.

Gun-Kote is great stuff for guns, never considered using it on tools – in part because you have to bake it at 300°F for an hour. I'd be leery of the heat drawing the temper out of hardened items.

There are a number of similar finishes, including one that (IIRC) leaves a permanent film of molybdenum disulfide on the part, serving as a permanent dry lubricant. But I think most of them you have to bake on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kemble View Post
    I agree with David. Don't use epoxy. I use camellia oil on my tools that get used regularly and I coated them all with renaissance wax before I deployed last year. I came back without any rust. I don't think you would ever get the epoxy off and it could end up rough and hard to use.
    Thanks for reminding me... I need more Renaissance Wax. Good thing a little goes a long way, the stuff is expensive.

Not much going on from a tempering perspective at 300 degrees F. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempering_(metallurgy). Beyond this, there are a whole bunch of protective coatings that appear useful such as diamond-like-carbon of EonCoat Ceramic.