Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some shop improvements

Some shop improvements

After 2 kitchens, 5 baths, and 2 laundry rooms I decided I've practiced enough to tackle some cabinetry for my shop. Been busy the last couple weeks. I've accumulated a ton of plywood and and used a lot of that up on these projects. There's some odd pieces in some of these such where, say, the grain runs the wrong way.

First, I rebuilt the Sysport Clone (which got a twin after that thread) to fit on a wall that hasn't been real well utilized for some time. I've been using more Systainers for other tools so my collection has grown further.
    2013-11-16T21-11-36_2.jpg

Then I built some new cabinets for under my outfeed table. I used to have a couple metal toolboxes here which were pretty inefficient for space utilization. The drawer fronts are just prefinished maple ply. I rounded over the edges and probably should wipe some finish on them. My wife saw this today and said she wants the same in her craft room in the house so I'll probably be doing it all again.
    2013-11-16T21-11-36_1.jpg

Then I started on a replacement for a hand-me-down metal office cabinet and an old cabinet from my master bath that were in my office.
    2013-11-16T21-11-36_0.jpg

All to help eliminate a run of hand-me-down cabinets in one corner of my shop to make room to move this over from my dad's shop.
    2013-11-16T21-11-36_3.jpg
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 11-16-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Nice!!! Everything looks great Matt. Very good ideas. I have similar plans for my festool. I plan to make it fit atop my syscarts. I'd like them to retain their mobility as well as to be able to be put in place in my van for site work. I also want to use drawer slides for each systainer shelf. I hate having to open one systainer with others latched on top or to completely separate my classic systainers.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Nice Matt, as always, well done. I really like the storage area under the outfeed table. I'd love to do that, but in my small basement shop, I need the flexibility of being able to move the TS, which would require dropping the outfeed table down (used Jim Becker's design for outfeed table). I have a couple things under it, but you're right, the space under it isn't used as efficiently as it could be.

Nice work Matt. Very clean lines!
    Well done.

PS.
    That looks like a nice little lathe there.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Cool lathe.....they are just so handy to have in a pro-woodshop.

When you get time,I'd enclose the base of it.It'll stiffen it somewhat...but the real benny is "stowage" for specific tooling.If you dig around the web you should easily find some absolutely jawdropping wooden cabinet's,many were factory options.Look at some of the neat collet holders in drawers.You also can store other tooling in these drawer systems(done in wood BTW).

Cpl places to check for inspiration would be Hardinge,Wade,and Moore.

Nice, Matt. Very nice.

I'm working on redesigning and rebuilding my outfeed table now, and it was nice to see yours. Are the shims to level it, or another purpose?

I've got my Systainers in two of their rolling carts, and I agree, the system for pulling them out is annoying. Especially on the lower ones. I do like the ability to lock them in, though.

And what is going in the hole above the sandpaper in picture 3?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Yes shims are for leveling. Or at least get it in the same plane as the out feed. The floor is very out of level there

There's no counter on the cabinets yet. That's just a scrap of plywood because I needed something to hold the UPS and NAS that I use for "offsite" backups. I'm thinking about picking up some butcher block tops from ikea as they aren't much more than doing laminate in the big scheme of things. Also thinking about just using tempered hardboard over plywood--but I'm not sure that's much less.

Brian, a new stand is in the plans. I have a set of salvage legs (more like piers), some leveling feet and some 8/4 oak that's useless for any fine woodworking and was thinking of putting something together from all that but I'll check around for ideas first.

Looks good Matt.
    I need to get in my shop and redo some things.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Looking neat and everything in it's place! Want to come fix my shop next.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Little more progress...

IMG_1734.jpg

You can't beat shop furniture....
    Nice job Matt.

Thinking about doing something different with this finish-wise and doing a painted finish. Probably no opportunity to do that in our house, especially with everything being redone in the last several years. We thought about it in the kitchen briefly but decided against it. I recall seeing painted oak cabinets in displays and thought they looked nice.

Matt,
    I'm about to build some of these in my garage as well. What length of slide did you use? I saw from your other thread you used gliderite(?) where did you order them? I've only used KV but they are way too expensive and nice for this type of project.

Also, did you make them reconfigurable height? If so what spacing did you use for the holes?

-Brian

Got the cabinets done. This was a potential option for kitchen cabinets we decided against. I didn't really know where I was heading with these, but I decided to give this a try since its "just" shop cabinetry. I used Sherwin Williams's Proclassic which sprayed like a dream with a #5 needle/cap set in my Fuji gun. The primer they recommended, not so much so I need to find a better option there. Ended up having to brush out the primer after spraying. They didn't turn out bad but there are definite brush marks, all in the primer. The tops are from Ikea as discussed in another thread.

IMG_1735.jpg

I went ahead and replaced the desk top where my shop PC sits too. I plan to replace the metal filing cabinet with something shop built, but probably with less file and more shelf or shallow drawer space. Maybe replace the cheap shelves on the wall too.

IMG_1737.jpg