Thread: Light rails or not?

Light rails or not?

I am changing our kitchen to a contemporary style by adding slab style cabinet doors to our frameless euro style cabinets. I am also adding 1" deep strip lights under and above the cabinets.
    Rather than add light rails top and bottom it was suggested I extend the doors past the cabinet frames to hide the light fixtures. The extended sections will also give a place to grip the door allowing us to eliminate knobs or pulls. Doors are MDF with wood veneer.
    Is this an acceptable way to configure this? What would be the negatives of going rail-less?
    Thanks for you help
    Andy

I would be concerned about the door gaps and the bit of light peeking out above and below the cabs. To me it would just not be right. Ive never seen it but I envision a look of spaces in between teeth...

P.S. - and this wasnt with regards to the lighting, the fact that the boxes would be visible in the gaps an inch down regardless wouldnt look great in my opinion.

Every time you opened a door you would get a face full of light. Might be OK for your own house but considering how easy it is to add a light rail I would not skip that step. You can still run the doors past if you like. As for doors without knobs - that just means that over time you will be wearing the finish off the bottom edges of the doors and leaving them smudged, greasy or otherwise looking dirty. Knobs/pulls are nice and can be an inexpensive way to add a bit of flare to the design.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Every time you opened a door you would get a face full of light.
    My thoughts exactly. Adding the rail is too easy to justify eliminating it.

Additionally, if you dont want such a substantial rail, if your using LED switch to tape and it could be hidden with an extremely thin rail as opposed to the inch.

Go with the light rails. You'll be much happier with the final finished look.
    In all my time as a cab designer, I only did one job without 'em ( at the homeowner's strong request ). Looked like crap, and she had us add them later.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I like that treatment,Bill,but disagree with your description . Should be for "a more traditional look than the standard contemporary treatment ".

we have exactly what you're talking about in our house - but only because i haven't gotten around to installing the light rail/valance. you should definitely add them.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

When a client says contemporary I think clean, simple, with a minimum of molding lines.
    Here I let the doors extend to the bottom of the light valance.
    wall left.jpg

This view of the underside shows the flexible LED strip lighting hidden behind the doors and light valance.
    led.jpg
    Last edited by Tipton Lum; 11-17-2013 at 10:46 AM.

I've done the Eurobox with the door coming down to form the light rail several times. I've never had a client complain or even mention the light peaking through the doors. It's a simple way to get it done and have the functionality of no handles required if that's what floats your boat.

Good info Leo, I've never seen it myself it was just a concern. Would figure in low light you'd see an illuminated door gap for the distance the doors project above and below the box.

My customers often use UC lighting for night lights and figured itd be an odd look. Would be nice to see for sure.

Mark, here's how it looks in my home - I don't find the light showing through the gaps too egregious (but I definitely don't think its ideal), but my biggest issue is seeing the UC fixture when a door is open.

FWIW, i could probably adjust the gap between doors a little, and we do actually have handles and valances that i've yet to install. It's been almost two years since install/move-in, think its time to finish the drawer fronts?

IMG_7555.jpg
    Last edited by Ethan Melad; 11-17-2013 at 3:12 PM.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Yes Ethan,
    That's exactly what I was meaning. I suppose it's a nit pick l, and as Leo said, his customers haven't complained. I personally don't find it to be something I would be ok with. Even up top it seems to disrupt the clean and crisp look everyone is going for.