Thread: Birch burl and walnut

Birch burl and walnut

I just hit the one year anniversary of when I began turning, recently, so wanted to turn a piece that has been sitting for awhile since it was green turned. It is such an exceptional piece of wood, that I wanted to make sure it turned out the best possible, with the skills I've aquired so far......I tend to be more of a lurker around the forum and always soaking up the good info on here, but thought this piece was worthy of a post.

I was very fortunate to be given a white birch burl late last winter and was blown away by the figure inside when I roughed it out.......

Into paper bags it went and was finally ready to be finished a couple weeks ago........It's a bit of a "cheater" hollow form with the walnut collar, but I'm very happy with it.

It's 8.5" diameter and 6" tall, finished with Danish oil and buffed......Walls are still about 1/4" thick

Blog Entries
    The burl is stunning!

very nice Rob, the walnut collar sets the wood off nicely, enjoy

Beautiful Rob!!! That one is a keeper!!

Mike
    Last edited by mike ash; 11-14-2013 at 10:16 PM.

You did an excellent job on some beautiful wood. You should be very proud.

that is stunning wood, and it's not cheating to use the walnut. looks great
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Beautiful, enjoy it.
    C&C WELCOME

I also just hit my one year mark on turning but it looks like you have spent a bit more time than I - perfectly executed~

Your HF looks awesome ! I got a ton of birch from a locale tree that a storm blew over .. the rings put it at about 100 yrs . the parts that were rot i tossed but the solid part made some great bowls and etc. The collar looks great !!! Next time before you put on that finish , polish the whole thing with brown paper bag at speed and see what a diff that makes !
    Paul
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Engle View Post
    Your HF looks awesome ! I got a ton of birch from a locale tree that a storm blew over .. the rings put it at about 100 yrs . the parts that were rot i tossed but the solid part made some great bowls and etc. The collar looks great !!! Next time before you put on that finish , polish the whole thing with brown paper bag at speed and see what a diff that makes !
    Paul
    I've never tried the paper bag treatment, Paul....I will give it a go in the future. Birch is about the only real hardwood I have locally up here, so I turn a lot of it. It can be pretty plain, but burls can be amazing!....It does spalt nicely too.

Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone! Much appreciated!