Thread: Wood Conditioner and Stain

Wood Conditioner and Stain

I am making a project out of what I call white pine. I used it because it had absolutely no knots. I was talking to the gentleman who owns our local lumber yard a question about some hardware for it. He asked me if I had used conditioner on the pine before I stained it. I told him I had not done stained it yet. So he sold me some conditioner. He said this will keep the stain splotching. So I did and followed the directions to a tee. I let it sit over night like it said in fact it was 2 nights. I then applied the stain and wiped as it said to remove the excess. Problem is it won't dry and it is like sticky. It is like it has a sticky oily film. It has sit for a full 24 hrs. now and is still sticky. Like I said it has a sticky oily feel about it. What made me even madder was it still had splotching. Is this normal and can I just put my varathane on it now? I am not sure what is going on. Any help would be appreciated.

Bernie

You have to wipe the conditioner just like you do stain. I didn't see you mention that and it may be the reason you have sticky stuff now.

White pine like on HD's shelves (no knots) requires no conditioner normally. It is a fairly tight celled wood and takes stain fairly evenly. I sand to 180 then stain.

You can't add finish to a sticky stain job. If it were me I'd hit it with mineral spirits and remove the sticky stuff, then stain.

Well I got some mineral spirits from Wal-Mart. I cleaned the project and restained. The stain color is not quite what I wanted but at least it is dry now and not sticky. Thanks Kelly.

Bernie

You bet Bernie...I usually wait only a few minutes before wiping the excess off when I stain...the norm is to leave the stain on about 5-10 minutes at the most depending on the color darkness you seek.

Glad you got past that problem. I did that the first time I stained something and was thinking it would eventually dry and it did, but it took a few days. Talk about splotchy....it was a very porous Pine project....looked like someone had tossed water ballons filled with black stain in some parts (the finish was supposed to be a Red Mahogany color).

Blog Entries

Had the same problem

I made a cabinet for my DIL last fall and encountered a similar problem when I stained it. The first coat of stain (I didn't use wood conditioner) dried stcky. I re-applied the stain and the second coat dried without the stickiness. I suspect that the pitch in the wood had something to do with it. In the future I will wipe down pine with mineral spirits befre I try staining it to see if I still get the stickiness.

Lee
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute