Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last day at work. A lot has changed.

Last day at work. A lot has changed.

Retiring tomorrow after 40 years, 9 months and 20 days at my current employer That's not counting leap years.
    How lucky was I to get a job with a great company during the days of generous corporate benefits.

Here are a few facts from 1973, the year I was hired.

National Average home price was $32,500. I purchased an older but perfectly fine home in Fort Smith for less than $10,000 and I assumed the previous owners mortgage without financing anew and avoiding all the associated expenses involved with that.

National average household income was $12,500 and I'm sure a lot less in Arkansas.

Gasoline started the year around $.35 a gallon. The first OPEC oil embargo later that year and “only” 6.6% inflation soon fixed that.

Dow Jones average ended the year at 850 and while gold began the year near $78.00 it soared to almost $90.00 by years end.

Jet skis, MRI’s, air bags (Oldsmobile Toronado), and UPC bar codes (Wrigley Gum) made their very first appearance.

Sam Waltons upstart Walmart had stores in 5 southern states. It’s stock split for the first time at $47.00.

Motorola, on a prototype phone, made the very first cell call to confirm the technology worked. It would be 10 more years before the first cell phone became available at a cost of $3900.00. It weighed 2 ½ pounds and was larger than a brick.

Looking forward to more time to pursue my own interests and learning to understand speech with my new cochlear implant that's allowing me to hear stuff I haven't heard since childhood. Who knew clocks ticked, leaves rustled in the wind, and raindrops made music when they hit the ground. Pretty awesome. Blessings never stop coming.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 11-14-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Congratulations Michael!!

Take Care and Enjoy Your New Life Adventures.

I retired 03/29/2013 and I love it. I am sure you will as well.

Enjoy 6 Saturdays in each week. I sure do.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Congratulation Michael on your retirement and the implant.

I can't imagine staying with one company for over 40 years but I certainly agree that it seems our time held more promise than the younger generation has to look forward to today. Welcome to our growing list of retirees

I retired two years ago & I'm still having trouble adjusting to it....

It's not at all what I thought it would be.

I've gotten to the point where though where I just dislike it a lot, I don't hate it anymore.
    Maybe in another few years I'll get to where I don't mind it.

Anyhow - I'm off to take my daily nap !
    That's one of the few things about being retired that I really enjoy a lot!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Congratulations Michael!
    I retired almost 3 years ago and absolutely love it! It took about 6 weeks for me to adjust to the new lifestyle of... Everyday is Saturday!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Michael, best wishes on your retirement.

40 years with a company...........WOW............We don't see much of that anymore.

I've been with my present employer 24 years, I thought that was a high number.

Enjoy your retirement, you've worked for it................Regards, Rod.

Best wishes and enjoy!! I have been retired 14 months and love it!
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Congratulations on your retirement, my CI-borg brother!

I was wondering how you were progressing with your CI use. "Sounds" like things are going well! Congratulations on the improved hearing too!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Michael, good thoughts and best wishes for a long and delightful retirement. Mine happened 4 1/2 years ago, and it has mostly unfolded the way I thought it would.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the wonderful world of retirement....... I love it.
    Best job I ever had......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Mr. Weber, what kind of work did you do for a living?

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Michael,

And a great run with your employer.

I'd retire today if I could. Another 10 years or so for me. I'm really looking forward to it and planning on centering my woodworking hobby around it.

PHM

Michael, Congratulations! Retirement for me is great. It seems to be what you make of it for each person. Smart eating habits and exercise remain similarly important regardless of employment condition, and an active mind is helpful too. Taking stock of what your options are takes a little time but with some planning and realistically aligning yourself into what pleases YOU, retirement can be really a blessing. Hope your next years are filled with enjoyment doing whatever you do.

Michael, congratulations on your retirement. It hs been 17 years since I retired after working for 33 years with the same company. I missed many of the friendships I had built up over the years but loved being retired. Nothing has changed during the ensuing years and I love being retired. The pay check just keeps coming in and I can do as I please each and every day. I think my wife had more of an adjustment than I did.
    Best Regards,

Gordon