Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbide Planer Blades

I would like to think that the micro grain carbide is the reason,I can get my blades sharp enough to cut the hand of god.
    But it may be the place where their made.
    After a couple sharpening you will have to take off the black bar that sits under the screws.The screw heads will start contacting the surface of the wood.So they need to come down out of the cutting circle.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I would like to think that the micro grain carbide is the reason,I can get my blades sharp enough to cut the hand of god.
    But it may be the place where their made.
    After a couple sharpening you will have to take off the black bar that sits under the screws.The screw heads will start contacting the surface of the wood.So they need to come down out of the cutting circle.
    Andrew
    With the Holbren blades, I don't use the black bar because the blades are thicker and the screw heads do contact the surface otherwise.

I have a DW735 as well. I'm still on my first side of the original blades. The finish is not as smooth as it was when I first got the planner. I will be switching to the second side soon. My local sharpening shop carries Dimar HSS blades. He said they are much better than the original Dewalt blades. His Dimar blade set is 109$CND. HomeDepot Canada sells the Dewalt set for 80$CND. He doesn't recommend the carbide tipped set (which is 2x the price of the HSS) because they "shatter" if they hit metal and can't be sharpened after that. Even knots in dry wood can make them "shatter". I value what these guys say cause they have always led me in the right direction in the past and provided excellent service and good products, they sharpen my miter saw blades to better than new. For the folks in Ottawa, it's Leroux Sharpening, 1551-B1 Michael St, 613-749-5551, http://www.lerouxsharpening.ca/en/

Pat, I just looked up the Dimar knives they have M2, M3, and T1 all good stuff ,and way ahead of the semi high speed steel often fraudulently sold as "high speed". If they sell only high quality ,they are an unusually ethical company.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Pat, I just looked up the Dimar knives they have M2, M3, and T1 all good stuff ,and way ahead of the semi high speed steel often fraudulently sold as "high speed". If they sell only high quality ,they are an unusually ethical company.
    Great to hear, now I will buy a set with even more confidence! Thanks for the reply.