Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: David Savage on Lie-Nielsen chisels

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    The person I've seen that strikes me as having the most 'salesy-ness' is actually an American. He left me with such a bad taste in my mouth I have watched very little of him.
    The word huckster comes to mind. Not saying he is, just comes across like one.
    David Charlesworth, on the other hand is the real deal, and he is not annoying to watch, I don't watch his videos then feel like I have to buy a gadget in order to do good woodworking.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    As for grammar and spellings, the source (magazine, blog?) is not revealed and we have no way of telling the need for perfect grammar and spellings. Bloggers, unless they are on the English language, tend to be less concerned about such aspects as their intentions are to share their observations and knowledge. In the business context, emails have replaced traditional letters and memos; people these days are, sadly, not putting the same kind of effort they used to when writing them.
    It is a business context. This was received via David Savage's subscription list.

I would have expected the magazine's editor to clean up David's prose if indeed it was a magazine piece. The writing failure here is the editor's and not David's, in my opinion.
    It's not from a magazine, it is essentially David's "e-letter".

It's not the grammar or spelling which bothers me, it's the fact that I had to read it three times and I'm still not quite sure what he was saying... I've read my share of philosophers and academics, so parsing dense text is in my repetoire, even if it's not something I do every day. This was incomplete, unclear, scattered, and jumpy. It's almost as if the first half of a rambling conversation/observation was recorded for posterity, but the followup questions and clarifications weren't. Normally, DS's newsletters are not this disjointed, so I wonder whether he simply had to dash this off and we got what would normally be a first draft...
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    David Charlesworth, on the other hand is the real deal, and he is not annoying to watch, I don't watch his videos then feel like I have to buy a gadget in order to do good woodworking.
    Huckster is a good word for him. Or carnival barker. The name Harold Hill comes quickly to mind.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Everyone is jumping all over him for not worshiping LN but for all we know, maybe he doesn't like any of the chisel makers.
    To be clear, I'm not jumping on him for not worshiping LN. I'm dinging him for a confusing, garbled piece. I've been subscribing to him for some time, and before I subscribed I bopped around his site some, followed his links, etc. As best I could ascertain, Mr Savage is both a fine craftsman AND an excellent mentor/instructor, at least based on the work of some of his students. And his responses to the few questions I've emailed him have been both courteous and informative.

As for the matter of arrogance, I think that's largely a perception based on a difference in teaching style. Most, if not all, of the European "masters" who are in the public realm teaching come from a "guild/crafts" system where the student is the product, not the customer. It's the master's time and money that are being expended on the student. Those who've served in the military likely clearly understand the difference in approach to physical training between a drill instructor, and the personal trainer down at the gym. One encourages you, the other tells you in no uncertain terms what to do.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leigh View Post
    Huckster is a good word for him. Or carnival barker. The name Harold Hill comes quickly to mind.....
    I didn't mention a name; you think you know who I was talking about?
    Last edited by Tony Wilkins; 11-13-2013 at 6:13 PM.

I'm curious who the american is. We seem to like our instruction from foreigners. (charlesworth, sellers, klausz, odate, cosman, wearing...)

i use we loosely. i have only bought more than one piece of media with charlesworth and don/larry.

I assumed they meant RC, but forgot he was Canadian, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I'm curious who the american is. We seem to like our instruction from foreigners. (charlesworth, sellers, klausz, odate, cosman, wearing...)

i use we loosely. i have only bought more than one piece of media with charlesworth and don/larry.
    Dave, you do realize that the US is not the only country in America right? I believe the "American" he is referring to is Canadian....oops did I just give away the secret...sorry Tony.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Most canadians that I know are proud enough of being from Canada that they'd chew you out if you called them an american.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Most canadians that I know are proud enough of being from Canada that they'd chew you out if you called them an american.
    Hey, I didn't call him an American, Tony did.

Geez Tony, why you gotta always generate so much controversy.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I totally forgot he was a Canadian. So I guess I meant American in the generic way....fighting words for most of us Canadians.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post
    Oh dear Mike,

If I thought I was as arrogant as those two, I might have to shoot myself.

(I do not know anything about Graham Blackburn).

Best wishes,
    David
    David, if you are arrogant, I have totally missed it. Having yet to meet you in person, my impressions are based upon watching your DVDs several different times. You seemed like a decent chap, but I guess I better go watch them again, as it is conceivable I was focused too much upon the skill and content . . . . . . . Glad you are back to good health. Slainte mhaith, Patrick

I totally forgot he was a Canadian. So I guess I meant American in the generic way....fighting words for most of us Canadians.
    WHOA, dude, I thought the only fighters were the Canadiens . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    WHOA, dude, I thought the only fighters were the Canadiens . . . .
    Man, so many jokes only a Canadian would get.....
    Paul

I thought Canadians was a hockey team. I didn't know RC was Canadian; like I said he turned me off so quick I didn't find out much more about him. Sorry to offend any Canadians; what do I know, I'm a Texan so the US is there between us

But yeah, you guessed it, I was trying to be diplomatic lol.

So to get all this straight, RC is Canadian eh, and we're agreed to blame David Charlesworth for the Stamp Act of the mid 17th century.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-14-2013 at 9:42 AM.