Thread: Family mystery: Can you help date this coffin smoother?

Family mystery: Can you help date this coffin smoother?

This is a family mystery, and my mom and I would really appreciate any help. For my birthday, she gave me an old coffin smoother plane that she has had as a keepsake for many years. However, she doesn't know whether it was acquired by her father, grandfather, or perhaps great-grandfather.

If any plane wizards in this forum can help us pin down a range of dates for when this thing was likely made and sold, that would really help. Here is a photo gallery of every conceivable identifying feature I could find:

http://imgur.com/a/2z89a

Thanks in advance!

According to Goodman: Tucker London Waranted is between 1842 and 1877.

From the very rounded edges rather than defined bevels,I'd date it to the late 19th. C.. More towards the end of the maker's career.

Wow, you guys are awesome! For a plane-identification newbie like me, what's Goodman?

Wow, thanks! I'm totally impressed by how much you guys know about this stuff.

Mr Goodman has published a lot about old woodworking tools. One of his books is Britsh planemakers from 1700. I have the second edition. The third goes for crazy money on ebay. It seems there is a fourth edition in the make by mrs. Reese. Mr. Goodman doesn't live anymore.

For questions on Britisch planes you should also ask at ukworkshop.co.uk in the handtool section. They know a lot more about this stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Wow, you guys are awesome! For a plane-identification newbie like me, what's Goodman?
    Jason,

Welcome to the Creek. Your location isn't in your profile, where on earth do you call home. (Someday we will make contact and a bigger piece of real estate than just one planet will have to go in to that question.)

My guess is Goodman is one who wrote what has become the definitive work on old woodworking tools.

Just like some refer to Walter (John Walter) on Stanley tools or others in relation to specialities unique to the person.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

And again, thank you! I'm off to post there now...