Thread: NEED GUIDANCE ON FIRST LASER PURCHASE PLEASE (Ocean County, NJ)

Exclamation NEED GUIDANCE ON FIRST LASER PURCHASE PLEASE (Ocean County, NJ)

Hello members of Sawmill Creek!

This is my first post on any forum about laser engravers and I am looking to purchase one as soon as possible. There is just so much information and opposing experiences out there and I need some guidance if you guys don’t mind.

Background:
    My first experience with a laser cutter/engraver was 4 years ago when I started my Junior year of college at Rowan University in NJ; Rowan’s engineering shop has an Epilog Legend 36ext (75w). Besides using it for our projects (cutting 1/8in to 1/2in acrylic, 1/16in rubber for gaskets, 1/4in to 1/2in wood, etc.), I used it as much as possible to cut and etch things out of wood for presents. Now that I’ve been out of school for 2.5 years, I don’t have access to the one at Rowan, but I have the means to own my own.

Needs:
    I don’t want to spend a fortune on my first laser, because I do not know how practical this will end up being for me. I plan to use it a ton, but you never know until you get it. Below is what I plan to do with it:

1. I mainly want to cut/etch 1/4in wood with decent speed and good accuracy; up to 1/2in would be nice, but I think that would require a lot of power, and I don’t think I’ll have as much of a need to cut 1/2in as I will 1/4in.
    2. I want to etch nice looking photographs
    3. Etch glass
    4. Cut/etch 1/4in acrylic; again, 1/2in would be nice, but is not necessary (especially for acrylic).
    5. Cut other plastic that is <= 1/4in
    6. Cut polyurethane that is <= 1/4in

Additionally, I would like a decent size cutting bed; around 24x36 would be nice, but I would work with smaller ones, especially for a first laser. I want a decent size cutting bed in case I start making things for a profit, which I hope will eventually come of this.

First thoughts:
    Epilog lasers are way too much money than I am willing to spend just yet. If I start profiting from this hobby, I will be willing to spend more money. Two companies that I’ve been looking into are the 5th gen 40w hobby laser by Full Spectrum Lasers and a few lasers by Redsail (primarily the x700; others found here: M500, M700/M900). I’ve read good and bad things about Chinese lasers, and it seems that a lot of good stuff is to be said nowadays (i.e. 2013). One big thing is customer support, and I’ve read that Redsail’s is very good. Overall, it appears that I can get a Redsail machine for $2500-$3500 to my door (customs included), with everything required to run it (e.g. air pump, exhaust fan, chiller, etc.). Redsail, and other Chinese laser companies, make benchtop machines with smaller cutting areas (12x20) for <$1000; this might be a good option for a first laser, but I would much rather the larger beds.

Please provide any guidance that you can. I really would like to purchase a laser before I get married in October 2014, so I can make a lot of décor for the wedding . There is a lot to consider with this purchase and I can’t afford to make a bad decision with it.

If anyone, somewhat local to 08731 or 08059 (Ocean and Camden County NJ), owns a laser and is willing to show me their machine and provide their experiences, that would be AWESOME and greatly appreciated!!

Thank you guys!
    Ed
    Last edited by John Keeton; 11-20-2013 at 5:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Look for other threads here about the FSL machines... I think you'll be sufficiently scared afterwards. The Redsail is a better bet... also look at Rabbit Lasers (friendly/knowledgeable service).

I did a lot of my wedding stuff with the laser, too, including the invites. It's time consuming if you're starting from scratch, but you can really get a professional level of design.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks for the input Dan! I will focus my research on Redsail and lasers sold by Rabbit lasers. The only problem with Rabbit is the prices seem to be a lot more then purchasing a laser directly from a Chinese company.

Rabbits are great bits of kit and Ray Scott is one of the most helpful guys I have ever come across.

What you get when you buy in country Ed is support, China side support varies between pretty good and dire depending on what the machine problem is. Redsail again...good machines at a fair price. In all truth there is very little between the big Chinese companies, many of them use the same internals and just build their own cases to house it all.

Import wise you will save theoretical money, not real money. Take for example all the setting up and machine start up, that takes time and time costs. If you end up with a problem your support is the other side of an Ocean and speaks English as a second language.

As Dan says, FSL? just don't

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Go direct thru China and deal with the importing, brokers, paperwork, fees or buy from Ray at Rabbit Lasers and he will deliver, set it up, align mirrors and focus, install software, and do a test run before he leaves. That is why he is more.
    Rabbit RL-80-9060
    Roland SP-540i
    Graphtec ce5000-60
    Graphtec fc7000-100
    Happy HDC2-1501
    Juki 1541s

I am a die hard Epilog user. That being said, if you can't afford the best, I recommend getting a Rabbit.

Blog Entries
    Ed,

I haven't bought anything yet (yes.....the voice of experience talking to you!! <grin>) but I have been going through the same decision process you are, looking for what I want, pricing, comparing peoples experiences, hunting through this forum like a mad fiend, asking questions, etc.

Although I would love an Epilog or Universal, I believe I will end up with a Rabbit for the reasons Dave and Dan mentioned here. Probably a 9060 or 6040 model in either of the series they offer. Check out their web site at rabbitlaserusa.com.

Another alternative if you are in a rush...would be to still order your laser from who you want, but eliminate the pressure by looking around your area to see if there is a user or maker shop near you. They usually have one or more lasers you can "rent time on" for reasonable rates and run your jobs. You sound like you already know how to make up what you want so this might be a good thing to tide you over while you finalize a purchase and wait for delivery.

An example of these "community shops" would be Matrixspace in Seattle. Their web site is matrixspacecreate.com. I mention them simply so you can check out their web site and get an idea what these types of operations can offer you. There are similar operations all over the country, especially in areas where you have folks who are DIYers. Check near a University or College first and I bet you find one quickly.

Hope that helps a little.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.