Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Built Bowl Lathe

Mike,

I will say that it is very difficult not to stain the lathe with drool. I can even see it cry a bit when I come home from being out of town (or is that me)?

I do not have a digital tach on the lathe. I had thought about installing one but haven't worried about it yet. As far as speed... It was turning as fast as it could without shaking... I'm not sure if you could tell by the photos, but I have a potentiometer in my control pendant. The lathe is run by a VFD, so I have complete variable speed. Yes, I do actually mean complete speed variability. If I need to turn something really slow I just put the lathe in back gears and don't loose any torque from the motor/pulleys turning slow.

Yes, the banjo is huge. The thing is almost 3' long (if I remember correctly) and is obviously heavy (about 100lbs) so there is some resistance just from the weight. However, I smoothed the bed pretty well and it stays waxed so manipulating the banjo is not to bad. It also helps that the underside of the banjo is smooth as glass.

Interesting you would mention motor placement. I really wanted to mount the motor inside of the main pillar. However, that piece is an H beam with 1" walls and 3/4" web. I didn't even want to think about cutting away any of the material in addition to modifying the headstock. So I was stuck with mounting the motor up high or close to the base. You can see what I opted for and the reason was that I didn't want the 70lb motor that high up. Every little bit of mass at the bottom helps out. The belts do oscillate a bit, but nothing to wild. I've also got the potential lack of hp covered. There is a 5hp waiting in the shop if the need ever comes around.

The computer case is just an enclosure to hold the VFD and brake module. The green cable leads to the control pendant as you noted. There are two black cables that exist the rear of the computer box. One goes to the motor and the other goes to the RPC on the other side of the garage. I built the rotary phase converter b/c I was in the process of acquiring two 3phase tablesaws and didn't want to pay big bucks for the power company to run a line to me. Having 3phase also made purchasing a VFD for the lathe a bit cheaper. You can see what I did with the computer case on my blog.

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you like it!
    Last edited by Michael Poorman; 11-12-2013 at 7:02 PM. Reason: removed link to personal blog due to regulation infringement.
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike

Mike, if you do go the route of a digital tach, I've used this on two lathes, now. Work great. Easy as pie to install. You can get their "box" to put it in, but if you have your own, you can save a couple bucks. http://mkctools.com/tachoptions.htm

Funny response on the "as fast as it could without shaking" answer...I figured THAT! I just figured you know your RPMs (at least the fastest for each pulley) because you can just do the math with your motor speed and pulley size. I'm assuming your motor is a 1725 RPM, right?
    I drink, therefore I am.

HAHAHA. Sorry, wasn't trying to be funny. You just never know, some people are really timid and don't like a piece of machinery even hinting at shaking. Anyways, you are correct that the motor is a 1725 RPM version. The open belt speeds I have are 466, 873, & 1552. I'm not 100% sure about the back gear speeds but I think they are 141, 265, and 470.

BTW, nice job on your lathe. Man, that looks excellent.
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike

Mike, I like the idea of using an old metal lathe headstock and being able to use the back gears is a great addition to turning slow with great torque. I will have to keep that in mind when I decide to build a "MEGA" lathe for turning maybe up to 8' logs or so! I pretty much build anything and everything and Mr. Cruz has been a benificiary of my creations!

Great job on the lathe and I like the color too,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Michael, thanks for your compliments on my lathe. Jeff built the headstock, tailstock, and banjo!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Poorman View Post
    I just noticed you asked about the tool rest and not the banjo. Hehehe. Yes, I also made that. It is has a piece of O1 drill rod welded to the edge that the tool rides against. Tools just glide over the edge and no evidence of dings yet!
    Michael, I'd love to hear more (perhaps in the MetalWorking forum?) about welding the drill rod for a ding-free toolrest. That is something I've wanted to do for a while, but been a little apprehensive about the difficulty of welding it.
    Did you harden it after welding?

- John

P.S. Awesome lathe!

Thanks Jeff! Had I know there was such a benevolent person around I would have tried to weasel a lathe out of you too! I have had to use the back gears on a few recent pieces that were really unbalanced. I was a great feature to have available. I'm glad you like the lathe.
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike

Quote Originally Posted by John Aspinall View Post
    Michael, I'd love to hear more (perhaps in the MetalWorking forum?) about welding the drill rod for a ding-free toolrest. That is something I've wanted to do for a while, but been a little apprehensive about the difficulty of welding it.
    Did you harden it after welding?

- John

John,

P.S. Awesome lathe!
    Terribly sorry it took so long for me to reply. I never saw your post until now From what I understand the robust tool rests actually have that rod epoxied in place. I didn't really like that idea so I decided to try welding it.

This actually worked out better than I thought it would. I used a stick welder and a 6010 or 7014 rod. I grabbed some bar clamps and clamped the drill rod and tool rest (without post) together. I simply spot welded at each end then every few inches. I then flipped it over and repeated. I did not harden the drill rod after welding. I did however have to do a touch of grinding to clean up and I could tell a difference around the areas that had been welded and those that hadn't. I'm quite happy with the tool rest and it beats the $60 you'd have to give up to buy one!

I'm glad you like the lathe! Also, good choice in dogs!
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike

Nice work indeed Michael, the blue is for the Blue Angels ????
    John 3:16

Thanks Paul. I didn't paint it blue with that in mind, but I wouldn't scoff at the semblance!
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike

Fantastic lathe, Michael. You did great work. Love home built tools!