Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: show your chisels (was just a pic of some chisels)

I gotta say that Sean is winning at this point. I assume those are Stanley 750's with custom turned handles? What are the ones on the bottom?
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

you have to zoom in a bit, but they are there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones View Post
    you have to zoom in a bit, but they are there.

now you've gone and done it. you don't think a deliberate provocation such as flashing a shot of planes in a show your chisels thread can go unanswered do you?

http://31.media.tumblr.com/7941518e6...m32o1_1280.jpg

the #3 is visible in the lower left corner. the #2 is behind it. the #4-1/2 is in the lower right corner, with a couple of #4s piled on it. above is a couple of #5s, then #6, #7, #8 progressing to the upper left.
    Last edited by bridger berdel; 11-12-2013 at 1:00 AM.

I also have some refurbished Stanley 750s. This set ranges from a 1/8" through to 1 1/4". The steel was collected over a couple of years quite cheaply as the handles were shot. I planned to turn my own handles anyway. The handles are stretched versions (I find the original Stanley 750 handle too short for my taste), turned in She-Oak. The shoulders were all reground to finer lands, with the 1/8" coming from a 1/4" chisel and the 3/8" coming from a 1/2" size.

Another way of acquiring cheap chisels is to make your own sash mortice chisels. I generally use very large English Bolstered types, of which a few are vintage and a couple are Ray Iles. However I also wanted a 1/4" and 3/8" small versions for shallow mortices, or squaring the ends of grooves. These were made out of HSS bar stock, which comes ready-sized ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Those are original 750 handles, but I bought "user" chisels (metal good, but paint splatters and dinged handles etc.) and the leather was chewed up to the point that I just cut it off and reshaped the tops.

The ones onthe bottom are Swans. There are glimpses of other cats and dogs too - a Berg and so forth.

Here's mine. Nothing fancy. Acquired a few vintage ones this summer.

IMG_20131112_131410_948.jpg
    2 Stanley's, my dads
    Ohio tool
    Bucks bros
    GreenLee Reliance
    James Swan
    T. H. Witherby

And others

Nice. I really like the way your planes are held in place.

Derek,
    If I'm ever a billionaire I want to commission you to build me a whole set of really nice tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones View Post
    Nice. I really like the way your planes are held in place.
    thanks. it was s good idea at the time.... but before I even got it finished I got more planes than would fit. the cabinet was something i brought home from my grandparents ranch, so it has some sentimental attachment. the #2 came from there too.

Blog Entries
    Until I get a package from Stuart at Tools From Japan…. Stuart and I have been working on an interesting assortment of several Japanese chisel types made by Koyamaichi and Ouchi for two or three months now. Should make an interesting picture once they arrive.

I believe some posters are holding back from posting their entire collection, possibly due to lack of a lens with a wide enough angle
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 11-12-2013 at 10:10 PM.

I've got a few.

2390.jpg

Two of the four drawers....

Hope everyone is getting a little shop time.
    Last edited by gary Zimmel; 11-13-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    I've got a few.

Attachment 274919

Two of the four drawers....

Hope everyone is getting a little shop time.
    OMG I was looking at your avatar. It looks like the surgeries I used to design… That is truly the sign of a sick mind (and I mean that in the nicest way). But come on the pic you provided is minuscule, you need to repost it and all the rest of your chisels in a size the tired eyes like mine can see adequately.
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 11-12-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

This is my collection, I started collecting in the late 70s and I don't get rid of anything - no exceptions. I am proud to say though that most of the latest chisels have been made by me. Over all I've made about a third of the chisels I use - so I'm not a total hoarder. Ironically, it's the cheapest of the bunch that get used the most though, the three stanleys in the front, and they're the oldest also...

I just noticed that the set of paring chisels I made on the far right also have a scribbled design of the handles above them on the MDF, they were made a couple years back.

At this stage I figure I've pretty much go all I need.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

I'm impressed how neat and orderly you guys are. I never really get to that point.

First picture is most of my chisels, and second is some longer chisels and other things that don't fit well in the first chisel cabinet.

Actually, the chisels I use the most are from the random bunch in the bottom on the wall side of the large cabinet. The top in the door are chisels I won from MJD just a couple of weeks ago, and in true MJD fashion, the hoops were all off and loose all over the place in the package, but they will be put on correctly later.